• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I have an urge to jump and run around

S

soulblazer

First off, I want to make clear I don't mean attempting suicide.

The urge I have is to jump and run around my room. Example: I'm sitting at my chair, surfing the Internet, watching videos, hearing music, making homework, so on, and then... POOF I need, freaking need to get up and start jumping and running around my room and then I sit back.

This have brought me a lot of troubles with my parents, because I make a lot of noise and/or don't let them sleep or take naps. Whenever I told them I really, really, really feel the need to get up my chair, jump and run around the room, and the "feel" doesn't go away until I do so, both of them either 1) laugh it off, 2) tell me to "just deal with it", 3) flat out call it "bullshit", 4) get more upset. Just 5 minutes ago, my dad yelled at me that he's going to hit me with the belt and take my laptop away if I dare to jump again, that he's sick with my "attitudes" (he has come to think I do it on purpose just to annoy them). They refuse to believe I feel the need to jump and run just because "it doesn't happen to them".

Like a month ago, I tried to search for a different approach; a quiet one. I found out I can calm the urge down by lowering my head and start quietly staring to the floor, while I keep thinking stuff. I was doing just that and my dad came in to see why I was so quiet and saw me.
Turns out he doesn't like it either and told my mom and now she doesn't like it either... It doesn't matter how many times I tell them that if I don't do either approach, I'll have trouble sleeping, because jumping and running or thinking a lot about stuff tires me and if I don't do... well, no sleep for me. So 1) if I take the "jump and run around" approach they yelled at me for being too loud and 2) if I take the "quietly stare to the floor while thinking" approach (at least that way I don't bother them) they yell at me for looking like a "weirdo". Last time I do it to calm myself, all I got was to see both my parents throwing a bitch fit about me looking "weird" or "like one of those autistic people" and "not right in the head", that I was "scaring" them ("scary as in a sociopath kinda scary", they said WTF? I'm the girl who cried like a baby from watching a really sad documentary film, but it turns out I'm a "weird and creepy" now for daring to stare to a stupid floor).

For obvious reasons, I can't do the "jump and run" thing because I know it's loud, but if try to calm the urge by using A QUIET WAY, they start to freaking out about me being "creepy" and stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

buttercup32

No one understands do they? I hope you are ok

S

ScardeyCat

It sounds to me like you are obsessed with running and jumping, and your compulsion is to conform and stare quietly at the floor. During my experience with OCD, I have realized that I can be obsessed with absolutely anything. Might I suggest taking your mind elsewhere. your parents sound insensitive to your suffering. Have you told them you have OCD?

S

soulblazer

It sounds to me like you are obsessed with running and jumping, and your compulsion is to conform and stare quietly at the floor. During my experience with OCD, I have realized that I can be obsessed with absolutely anything. Might I suggest taking your mind elsewhere. your parents sound insensitive to your suffering. Have you told them you have OCD?
I told them I have this "urge" to do it, but they don't really believe it. Also, I told them that the university's psychologist told me I could have OCD, but they refuse to pay for the test.
I don't know what's the denial about... my own maternal grandfather is a horderer and lived with my maternal aunt. He kept bringing "collectible" crap into the house and she kept throwing it away (she is cleaning obsessed).

He collected clothes, food, toys, whatever stupid thing he could find. Just imagine he collected clothes that he never used; the clothes rotted, smelled like a corpse has hidden in there, the walls got fungi (even for a not cleaning obsessed person, that's disgusting). Finally, my aunt lost it and told him he was ruining the house and making it smell bad, that he either find another place to live and take his rotten clothes, rotten food, and damaged objects (i.e: headless barbies, legless teddies, eyeless porcelain dolls, etc.) with him or he gets to stays and gets rid of it. He went to live on his own; my aunt didn't want to do it, but she couldn't even bring people over because it smelled like death. In his new place, he filled his garage with so much crap that his car didn't fit in there anymore, parked outside, and prefered risking having the car stolen than reduce the collection.

Not only did he collected worthless crap, he also took roaches and instead of kill them by bug poison or stomping on them, he took them in his hands and put them inside the refrigerator and let them freeze to death there... It's not like we don't have a OCD in the family (my grandpa the hoarder, and my aunt and great-aunts who have to clean everything).

S

Sanias

I actually have very much the same kind of urge. I've never heard of it anywhere else besides you or I. It affects my ability to do homework as I tend to run and jump around for a while and not do work. Then I stay up instead of doing it in the first place and that affects my sleep. I tend to not think enough to stop myself from doing it. Although lately I've been better at controlling it, I'd still like to know why this happens. With me, I start to imagine a situation in which I'm fighting or doing something awesome. Then it just takes over unless I stop myself or the scene I've created reaches its end. Does any of this sound familiar to you? I'd really like to know if this is something that happens or is just rare.

G

giababy

I have the same exact problem

I actually have very much the same kind of urge. I've never heard of it anywhere else besides you or I. It affects my ability to do homework as I tend to run and jump around for a while and not do work. Then I stay up instead of doing it in the first place and that affects my sleep. I tend to not think enough to stop myself from doing it. Although lately I've been better at controlling it, I'd still like to know why this happens. With me, I start to imagine a situation in which I'm fighting or doing something awesome. Then it just takes over unless I stop myself or the scene I've created reaches its end. Does any of this sound familiar to you? I'd really like to know if this is something that happens or is just rare.
Omg I have the same thing and it usually happens just as you described it. When I'm in the middle of an imagination. I just get up and go and I don't know why.

S

Sanias

Omg I have the same thing and it usually happens just as you described it. When I'm in the middle of an imagination. I just get up and go and I don't know why.
I'm so glad I've met someone who shares this same thing with me. It's almost been a year since i replied (which I don't blame you for or anything, don't worry), but it's so frickin relivieving. We should talk more about this, as I know so little and have just kinda kept this hidden for so long.

J

Jinx1016

Same here

I have been experiencing the same but I've been playing it off as being a self taught dancer

G

Gingermia

I've been doing this for years. Sounds like psychomotor agitation. If I'm alone I run around my room to music. If I'm around people I have to pace.

R_Sxo

R_Sxo

The urge I have is to jump and run around my room. Example: I'm sitting at my chair, surfing the Internet, watching videos, hearing music, making homework, so on, and then... POOF I need, freaking need to get up and start jumping and running around my room and then I sit back.

This have brought me a lot of troubles with my parents, because I make a lot of noise and/or don't let them sleep or take naps. Whenever I told them I really, really, really feel the need to get up my chair, jump and run around the room, and the "feel" doesn't go away until I do so, both of them either 1) laugh it off, 2) tell me to "just deal with it", 3) flat out call it "bullshit", 4) get more upset. Just 5 minutes ago, my dad yelled at me that he's going to hit me with the belt and take my laptop away if I dare to jump again, that he's sick with my "attitudes" (he has come to think I do it on purpose just to annoy them). They refuse to believe I feel the need to jump and run just because "it doesn't happen to them".

Like a month ago, I tried to search for a different approach; a quiet one. I found out I can calm the urge down by lowering my head and start quietly staring to the floor, while I keep thinking stuff. I was doing just that and my dad came in to see why I was so quiet and saw me.
Turns out he doesn't like it either and told my mom and now she doesn't like it either... It doesn't matter how many times I tell them that if I don't do either approach, I'll have trouble sleeping, because jumping and running or thinking a lot about stuff tires me and if I don't do... well, no sleep for me. So 1) if I take the "jump and run around" approach they yelled at me for being too loud and 2) if I take the "quietly stare to the floor while thinking" approach (at least that way I don't bother them) they yell at me for looking like a "weirdo". Last time I do it to calm myself, all I got was to see both my parents throwing a bitch fit about me looking "weird" or "like one of those autistic people" and "not right in the head", that I was "scaring" them ("scary as in a sociopath kinda scary", they said WTF? I'm the girl who cried like a baby from watching a really sad documentary film, but it turns out I'm a "weird and creepy" now for daring to stare to a stupid floor).

For obvious reasons, I can't do the "jump and run" thing because I know it's loud, but if try to calm the urge by using A QUIET WAY, they start to freaking out about me being "creepy" and stuff.
Sounds like your parents aren't very understanding - no matter what you do, they don't like it. There's no pleasing some people, is there?

This might be something flagging up with the doctor. The fact that you been compelled to do something like this would suggest an obsessive behaviour. I would get an appointment with the GP and see what they think?

Much love <3

B

Bohemianmermaid

So glad I've found this thread. I've been doing this for years and when I've previously googled what happens to me I've never found anyone remotely similar! It happens when I'm relaxed yet excited, like during a day dream or if I'm creating a scene in my imagination. Sometimes if I'm watching a storyline on tv that I find exciting I'll start daydreaming about it happening to me and it'll make me need to run and jump. It doesn't feel like a compulsion but more like an urge, like a burst of energy building up inside, sometimes my boyfriend knows I'm about to do it and puts his arm across me to stop me going but it just makes it worse. Most of the time I don't know I'm doing it, it's become such a normal part of my life. I feel like I have no control over it but I don't do it at work so subconsciously I must know works not an appropriate place to do it!

C

Coolbear

I'M SO HAPPY TO HAVE FOUND THIS THREAD. I've doing this for years too and it's exactly how a lot of you guys described it in this thread. I start day-dreaming about a really cool scenerio and it gets me really excited. I start running and jumping all around my room (while listening to music) until I get tired. If I watch a show or a movie with a lot of action I just can't sit still. It gets in the way of my daily tasks too. Early on I didn't think anything of it but as the years went on I really came to notice how strange it was. I tried to stop myself from doing it but it truly is an urge I can't fight. I came to just accept it as a part of my life, my parents know and they think it's weird but they don't judge. If a friend catches me doing it I just tell them "I like dancing a lot" even though I know it's far from the truth.

Now, after all these years I think I actually have an answer as to why I do this. You see, I've recently been diagnosed with adult ADHD (Attention Deficiency Hyperactivity Disorder) combined. I was suprised to learn this but the more I researched the symptoms the more it made sense. All of my actions fell in line with the symptoms for disorder except for one (or so I thought). The hyperactivity, I've always found myself to be pretty well behaved in class and not entirely too fidgety so I was wondering where that symptom fit in with my life. Then it hit me "THE RUNNING!", that's where my hyperactivity is materializing. When I researched it more I found an article that said quote, "For people with hyperactive ADHD they feel a need for constant movement. They tend to act as if they're 'driven by a motor' and often talk and/or run excessively".

I'm not saying that you all have ADHD but I definitely think it's a possibility. It wouldn't hurt to look into it since It's much better to live with when you have treatment.

DanL15000

DanL15000

This is a very interesting thread.

When I was a kid and well into my young twenties something that sounds similar to what people are describing would happen to me all the time. I'm 58 now and for a solid 30 years I haven't had the same exact problem...not even close to it.

Let me describe to see if this sounds about right.

I'm comfortable and always alone when this happens. Usually playing with toys or later building a model. I'm getting really into it and concentrating on it, getting more and more excited.

Next thing I know I'm standing up, throwing my hands around without even thinking about it. They go everywhere, fast, and my feet are moving. It sure as heck couldn't have looked like dancing. More like I was having some kind of seizure.

The whole time, I'm still thinking about whatever it was I was imagining as I did stuff....like a story is playing out in my head. Fast! And I THINK I might have made weird short noises but it wasn't words. A lot of repetitive woopwoopwoop, or bopbopbopbop, quietly.

Things that would bring me out of it were either that I'd just run down and lose my breath eventually, or a loud noise.

As long as no one caught me, it never really hurt anything. I did get caught a couple times and talk about being embarrassed! There was no way I could explain it and back then there was no way I ever found to control it....except I admit there must have been because I wouldn't ever do it around people. When something excited me too much I would just go into another room and do it.

I grew out of it. I can still feel myself getting excited about something and sometimes get a short, "Eureka!" type moment where I might stand up or throw a hand in the air. But nothing that would be considered "out there", like I used to do.

This has me wondering, what are the ages of people going through this?

K

kitkatpattywack

idk how the format of this will look since i’m on mobile, i know this is from 5 years ago but i made an account specifically so i could reply on this thread. i have this exact same experience and i was researching why i do this last night and it lead me to this thread. i don’t know if any of you will see this, but i want you to know that you have helped me more than you could know. i felt like a complete weirdo because i thought i was the only person who did this, but this thread has made me feel not so alone and not so weird. i actually sent this thread to my mom and told her all of these experiences were what i was experiencing, and i’m hoping that once it’s safer to go to the doctors, that she will take me to get myself tested. i just wanted to say thank you OP and everyone else on this thread, for sharing your experiences and bringing some attention to this :)