• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

I have a question...

L

Lisa4

I'm new to this but I would like some advice. I think I have a problem. I cry all the time, I struggle to get out of bed but I can't sleep at night, I eat like a pig, I snap at my boyfriend even when I know he hasn't done anything wrong. Ive almost completed my degree in Psychology which has been a complete drag but I truly believe I have depression.

I want to go to my doctors but the problem is I don't know what to say. I've become so good at hiding my true self from others that I honestly don't know how to explain how I feel. Also is it smart to bring my boyfriend with me?

I just want to talk to someone that can help me :low::cry2:

Just realised I asked two questions lol, but I would like it if I could get a response x​

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

All GPs should be familiar with depression so I can't see why you couldn't simply state that you think you might be depressed and outline your symptoms. Presumably not all doctors are equally sympathetic or knowledgable about depression and there's always the risk that the only treatment they would be willing to offer you would be anti-depressants so you might like to think about what your reaction to that might be in advance. There could be other reasons for your symptoms of course - tiredness, stress and/or anxiety spring to mind. There could even be a physical cause.
It would be a good idea to have your boyfriend go to the surgery with you but actually go in to see the doctor with you? Why would you want that? My GP wouldn't allow it I don't think. Do you really think you could talk completely openly with your boyfriend being there? If you are at Uni they usually have counsellors that you can refer yourself to - wouldn't that be a good place to start?
Hope you feel better soon :)

L

Lisa4

Yah that makes sense. My doctor is quite approachable but I'm not good with speaking about my problems out loud hence why I thought about my bf coming. He's seen me at my worst and is probably the best person to talk about it but even as I typed it, it didn't seem right. I would rather not go to the counsellors at my uni as I commute and also I want to detach myself as much as possible so I can just push through the next month. So much to think about but I have to try and get an appointment first..

Thank you for replying Jaminacaranda x

katya

katya

Hello and welcome to the forum.

:)

It sounds like you're suffering from depression to me; if your mood is affecting your day-to-day life, then it's a really good idea to go and see your GP. In terms of what to say, you should just tell him/her what you've told us; describe your symptoms and tell him/her how you're feeling. They'll be really experienced with this and they'll be able to help you.

When I first went to the doctors, I took my boyfriend with me, and it was a really good experience because he was able to fill in the blanks when I wasn't able to answer a question fully. He'd tell the doctor maybe how I was behaving, which sometimes you don't realise when you're suffering a lot emotionally.

Wishing you the best. Remember, lots of people deal with this and there is a light at the end of the tunnel! Just don't suffer in silence and get all the help you need so you can move on.

:hug1: