• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

I have a question also hello everyone

B

BeautifulScars1984

I have a question I have been diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder bipolar type and was wondering if its a psychotic disorder and if it is a psychotic disorder am I psychotic or its just a phrase

C

Coast2

I have a question I have been diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder bipolar type and was wondering if its a psychotic disorder and if it is a psychotic disorder am I psychotic or its just a phrase
Hi and :welcome:

I have schizophrenia. I think schizoaffective disorder is a type of schizophrenia, one the symptoms being psychosis.

I'm out of psychosis now. I was sectioned and treated on a mental health ward with antipsychotics and antidepressants. It took several months for the psychosis to unwind, but I did get better.

Hopefully you'll come out of psychosis soon. Keep taking your medication and make sure you eat healthily as the antipsychotics tend to make you put on weight.

Hopefully someone else will be able to provide specific advice about schizoaffective disorder.

Things do get better. X

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Schizoaffective types display symptoms of both schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. It is a psychotic disorder.

It is a long-term illness, but recovery rates vary.

Prairie Sky

Prairie Sky

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Yes, schizoaffective disorder involves psychosis so you could call it a psychotic disorder. But it's not helpful to label yourself "psychotic" in the sense that society does. There's a deep stigma attached to the word that makes people think "crazy" and "dangerous," which is only rarely true.

Essentially psychosis is where your mind loses touch with what is real and what isn't. You may have hallucinations - visual, where you see things that aren't there, or auditory such as hearing voices - or have what they call delusions. A delusion is a deeply held belief that's actually completely irrational, but you can't see it that way. Paranoia is a type of delusion.

So anyway, you can think of schizoaffective disorder like a combination of bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. You will get mood swings from manic to depressed, and also some type of psychosis. But medications can be very helpful to keep your mind grounded.

Take care! :hug: