• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I have a nervous twitch :(

katya

katya

Sometimes, when I think of something really cringe-worthy, I basically... twitch. I do a sharp intake of breath and my jaw clenches; it's really quick and involuntary. It's so fucking embarrassing. I usually do it when I'm tired, mostly at the end of the day, when I routinely run through all the stupid shit I've said and done. There have been times, though, where I've been really tired and have nearly done it at work. I really need to be so conscious of it.

I only started doing it a few years ago, after quite a long stint of drug abuse (about a year on un-researched, untested, technically legal drugs). Wondering if anyone's experienced a similar thing and whether there's anything I can do it alleviate/prevent it...

I'll bring it up with my CBT therapist when I finally get an appointment. This is the first time I've really opened up a conversation about it outside my relationship because it's so embarrassing.

shaky

shaky

It doesn't sound like much the way you desrvibe it.
You may be blowing it out of proportion.
Surely it is natural to make a movement and an inbreath when you hear something cringeworthy?

It is possible that you are the only one who has noticed it.
Especially if it is momentary as you describe.

katya

katya

I like to think it's not so bad, but it's pretty noticeable; my boyfriend and housemates have been a bit confused by it, asked if I'm okay and stuff... It's more when I think of something cringe-worthy, so it usually happens without any sort of external stimulus. I'm just sort of hoping no-one notices. Thanks for your kind words. :)