• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

I have a major sleep problem

Capt Hooke

Capt Hooke

Me too.

I've always been a night owl anyway but I'm caught in exactly the same sleep pattern of being awake all night and catching a few hours from 5.30 am to 11.00 am.
I don't worry about it any more. Just go with the flow x
Yes, I think that's about the size of it. I don't expect there to much progress in the treatment of depression / sleep problems for a long time to come. None of the big 4 pharma companies are currently working on antidepressants. We just have to manage as best we can :peace:. I dream of sleeping 5.30 to 11am!!! I'm more like ~7am till ~2pm

M

Mert

i am trying a bedtime routine at the same time every night i get ready for bed, a hot shower can help if you like to shower a night. I try camomile tea and melatonin you can get at walmart or wherever, not sure if it helps or not. I think it does. good luck, my heart goes out to you since i can totally relate to your situation. it is 2pm now and i am starting to get sleepy, but if i sleep i wont be able to sleep tonight so i am fighting it off. maybe you can try blackout curtains which i have or a sleep mask to keep the room very dark? Mert :)

J

JCPraha

I take Seroquel at night and occassionally I take trazodone which helps to sedate me. I'm not sure it is a great solution, but I could not sleep otherwise.

C

Coolname

I am diagnosed as having a condition called Non-24 (see Google - many hits), which may not be "fully accurate", but the only suggested treatments are melatonin and daylight, neither of which do much for me. I was a nite-owl even when I was 5 years old.
Interesting. I'd not heard of Non-24 before. Like you, I have always been a night owl. I also get that zombie tiredness after waking. I may try melatonin supplements.

Light does have a big impact for me. I wake at dawn in summer and use a daylight alarm clock in winter. The alarm really helps with waking up and I have a daylight lamp that reduces morning tiredness. Doesn't help with getting to sleep or creating a pattern though. I put the zombie tiredness down to either lack of sleep, waking up several times at night and being worn down by the constant nightmares.

Capt Hooke

Capt Hooke

I have some good results from melatonin, but it fades away after just a few days. As well as N24 there is another condition called Delayed Sleep Syndrome; both of these are so-called circadian problems and there is an interesting organisation based in the US trying deal with these problems. In the US, N24 is legally recognised as a medical condition and employers are compelled to allow for it - in reality, that does not seem to work out well.

In Oxford there is a Professor called Russel Foster doing really interesting scientific work on sleep, but he's not a guy who see's patients.

M

Mert

these are both prescription medications right? I took trazodone in the hospital to sleep. it is so noisy in hospitals anyway no one can sleep well there. I think i had a reaction to seroqual so i got off of it. I think that is right. Do you know any other over the counter solutions besides melatonin? thanks and hugs Mert :)

J

JCPraha

Yes, those are prescription drugs I mentioned. Over the counter? You could take Benadryl, it can make you somewhat drowsy. A lot of people use it.

M

Mert

thanks for the info. I have taken Benadryl before but forgot about it. I take it when I take a redeye flight to sleep on the plane and it helps for that i know. I tried unisom but i dont want to get in the habit of taking a sleeping pill. And i am taking so many pills now i dread pill taking in the morning. can you relate? Mert :)

J

JCPraha

I can relate. I also take too many meds. I think Unisom has benadryl in it as welll. I dread taking pills also, but I think I need them at this point. Without any pills, I think I would really crash. I think the pills are somewhat addicting and difficult to stop once you have been on the for a while.

J

JCPraha

Some people also take hydroxyzine for sleeping. It is similar to Benadryl but it is more effective. You may need a prescription for it in U.S. I am not sure. I am hoping you are sleeping better. I know it is very difficult when I can't sleep. Really distrupts my life. I hope your symptoms are improving and you are resting better.

R

RedYeti

Tell me about it, always told I would grow out of being tired all the time. In reality it’s depression.
get to sleep around 4 am wake up about 11 then just in and out of consciousness for couple hours.
Right now been just laying on my bed for about 2 hours.

J

JCPraha

Yes, depression takes its toll and can take away all energy and enthusiasm. I know how it goes, unfortunately.

Capt Hooke

Capt Hooke

In reality it’s depression. get to sleep around 4 am wake up about 11 then just in and out of consciousness for couple hours. Right now been just laying on my bed for about 2 hours.
A very senior psychiatrist once told me exactly what the answer was to your problem (my problem), and I shall share it with you here!

Get up, get a cold shower, then take your dog for a long walk.

Actually, I never did try that, I don't have a dog so that limits things.

Some years ago I got hold of a cylinder of oxygen gas and installed it by my bedside; the idea being that breathing pure oxygen would surely bring me up to speed when I woke up. No, no effect whatsoever