• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I have a friend with eat ing disorder

wollie

wollie

She will ony eat crisps and biscuits and has gone down to a low weight , how can I help her.

bpd2020

bpd2020

I am very sorry to hear about your friend, wollie. I would urge her to go to her doctor and ask to see somebody at an eating disorder clinic. I really hope she will agree as often people with eating disorders do not realise they have one. It is lovely she has you to care about her.

Lizaje

Lizaje

It depends on a lot of factors. You could talk to her, find out why she doesn't eat. It's quite amazing if she restricts and eats biscuits though... I mean I live off of them, too, frequently, but I was never the restricting kind anyway.

wollie

wollie

It depends on a lot of factors. You could talk to her, find out why she doesn't eat. It's quite amazing if she restricts and eats biscuits though... I mean I live off of them, too, frequently, but I was never the restricting kind anyway.
Thats a big part of the problem she won't talk to any one, I think she has some deep problem, but can't get her to talk about it.

M

Mary26

If she won't eat she may need to be hospitalized.

P

Purpleplum

I would tell her that you're concerned about her and then tell her why. Ask her if there's anything you can do to help her. If she doesn't want it, you need to let her be...you can't force her. Just let her know you'll be there for her when she's ready.

Y

yellowbutton

Hi,
I have an eating disorder myself, I'm not a professional but these are some things that my friends do that help me:
People with eating disorders often avoid social situations that involve food, eg meals out, keep inviting your friend anyway so they feel included. Or try to plan to do things together that don't involve food or exercise, maybe going to the cinema together?
As your friend isn't eating much, they should avoid burning excess energy. Where possible use lifts/escalators etc rather than taking the stairs.
It's also important not to comment on their weight loss, weight gain, or appearance- even a compliment can be dangerous. Instead of saying "you look so skinny in that outfit" you could say "you look so happy in that outfit" or compliment something not related to their appearance. Please note that hearing you talk about your appearance or your diet could be very triggering for your friend, so you should try to avoid this too.
Your friend will not recover until they choose to recover, but in the meantime I hope these suggestions help.