• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I HAVE A FORTHCOMING CAMPUS FINAL YEAR EXAM depression or ANXIETY... PLZ HELP

D

Dofta

am bipolar since 2004. i was about to relapse in January 2020 but due to my insight we were able to get a quick outpatient treatment. am a teacher and also in my fourth and final year campus student. we are about to commence our final semester exam come September 2020. i have been overshadowed by sadness anxiety and depression fearing that i shall fail in exams. i dont feel at ease really and i keep pressing my college mates that were gonna fail miserably. i i have difficulties waking up in the morning and usually get out of the bed at 12pm . i visited the psychiatric 3 weeks ago and was put on fluoxetine 20mg and olanzopine 10mg. no real change....any ideas plz

B

BipolarCoder

First, I can very much understand and empathize with your situation. I felt the same pressure all through my college, especially when deadlines were looming. I would sleep later and later, possibly in some kind of mal-adapted avoidance strategy.

At one point I became very fearful that I would fail a particular exam and get kicked out of college. I called my mother. The things she said we're very helpful. I only partially remember the conversation from 20+ years ago, but the most important things I remember were...

(a) we don't have to pass every exam in life. what we have to do is do our best.

(b) get outside, take a walk, go get something to eat. These bad emotional states become cycles of not enough physical motion, not enough nourishment, not enough sleeping, not enough breathing. Even simply taking a walk and having a healthy snack can sometimes be enough to start to break the emotional cycle and introduce a more grounded view.

Especially the breathing. Take a deep breath right now. I think half the anxiety cycle for me is stress causing poor breathing, which causes stress. I like to call it "micro suffocation" to remind myself how bad it is, and how much healthy deep breathing helps get oxygen to the brain so I can think straight.

I hope some of that helps....

G

goodgollymiss

Thanks bipolar for the good advice

D

Dofta

First, I can very much understand and empathize with your situation. I felt the same pressure all through my college, especially when deadlines were looming. I would sleep later and later, possibly in some kind of mal-adapted avoidance strategy.

At one point I became very fearful that I would fail a particular exam and get kicked out of college. I called my mother. The things she said we're very helpful. I only partially remember the conversation from 20+ years ago, but the most important things I remember were...

(a) we don't have to pass every exam in life. what we have to do is do our best.

(b) get outside, take a walk, go get something to eat. These bad emotional states become cycles of not enough physical motion, not enough nourishment, not enough sleeping, not enough breathing. Even simply taking a walk and having a healthy snack can sometimes be enough to start to break the emotional cycle and introduce a more grounded view.

Especially the breathing. Take a deep breath right now. I think half the anxiety cycle for me is stress causing poor breathing, which causes stress. I like to call it "micro suffocation" to remind myself how bad it is, and how much healthy deep breathing helps get oxygen to the brain so I can think straight.

I hope some of that helps....

D

Dofta

bipolar coder thanks alot . your feedback came at the right time. especially on the 'breathing in' statement plus taking a awalk and good nourishment...ill straight away put into practice your golden advise.

HLon99

HLon99

Dear Dofta,

I am sorry to hear what you are going through. Fluoxetine (Prozac) usually takes 4-6 weeks to build effective levels in the blood, which is why you are not experiencing any change as of yet. Your depression will eventually lift, but you have to give the medication time to start working.

In the meantime, try doing some cardio exercise like running. When you run your body releases endorphins which create a feeling of 'runners high' which can effectively lift depression for a short time. I would also strongly advise that you get in touch with your university/college councillor and let them know what you are going through. Depending on your institutions policy they may be able to give you an extension on your finals so that you may take your exams at a later date or at the very least give you special consideration for your grades.

Hope this helps and wish you all the very best of luck.

-H

M

mugwort

First I wish you the best with your exam. I would suggest if you can get enough sleep. Call your pdoc for any help For one thing med interaction is important. Be safe, be careful. Be you.

D

Dofta

Dear Dofta,

I am sorry to hear what you are going through. Fluoxetine (Prozac) usually takes 4-6 weeks to build effective levels in the blood, which is why you are not experiencing any change as of yet. Your depression will eventually lift, but you have to give the medication time to start working.

In the meantime, try doing some cardio exercise like running. When you run your body releases endorphins which create a feeling of 'runners high' which can effectively lift depression for a short time. I would also strongly advise that you get in touch with your university/college councillor and let them know what you are going through. Depending on your institutions policy they may be able to give you an extension on your finals so that you may take your exams at a later date or at the very least give you special consideration for your grades.

-H
Dear Dofta,

-H

D

Dofta

Dear Hlon 99

I appreciate highly for your time taken to give me a thorough feedback. Its 3 weeks since I started taking prozac and from a week ago, I feel there's a bit of improvement in my anxiety mood. Let's hope in the coming few days I shall improve intensively.

The problem I'm having is not having mood to study for the exam. I can't sit down and revise any subject and when I try one I just close the book in less than 10 minutes.