• We have just changed our forum software and are still tweaking things. You can log in using your existing user name and password. If you spot any problems please let us know by posting in the Feedback and suggestions section of the forum.

Watch this short film to find out how to use the new forum!

I have a fear of fainting in public--Help. Me.

whitelection

whitelection

I have never had social anxiety, but I'm more of an ambivert. Because of something traumatic that happened in July, my anxiety and depression relapsed, and my panic attacks became more frequent.

Slowly, it started building up that I'm going to faint in public and it'll cause a scene. Ever since then, I've been trapped inside my home and I'm terrified of going out. However, because I'm only 19 and still live with my parents, I've been dragged outside multiple times, only to have my mouth dry up, my legs turn to jelly and my head feel faint = Panic attack.

I've been trying hard to get better by exercising, replacing caffeine with hot milk to soothe my nerves, and meditating, but interactions with people other than family/the idea of being surrounded by the public makes my head spin. Someone, please tell me I'm not alone and that I'm not losing my mind. I start University in three months--I can't afford to let this fear take over me and ruin my life! Any tips and advice would be much appreciated. :low:

Last edited:
SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

I'm sorry for what you're going through.Have you sought out a professional to help you through this?It sounds like maybe the traumatic event you experienced has really impacted your well being and I suggest you seek help for it.

whitelection

whitelection

I'm sorry for what you're going through.Have you sought out a professional to help you through this?It sounds like maybe the traumatic event you experienced has really impacted your well being and I suggest you seek help for it.
I've been thinking of therapy for weeks now, but I never got around. I don't want to take medicines for it either because once you get hooked on medication, it's hard to let go--you become dependent on it, and I'm too young to become dependent on medication.

I forgot to mention my best friend lives thousands of miles away from me and he recently started a new job, so I barely see him. The last time we spoke was a week ago, and I get horrible separation anxiety while he's away. He knows I worry but I never told him the extent because I don't want to burden him. I just don't know what to do... I feel so hopeless. :sorry:

K

kvolm2016

Sorry to hear that you are struggling with this right now. It sounds like you are doing lots of great things to cope and to overcome. Your mental health is so important and like you said, you are too young to let it limit your life. I hope you will reach out to someone you trust to help you get to a professional to guide you through this as well. Do you have a family member or friend who can do this with you?

whitelection

whitelection

Sorry to hear that you are struggling with this right now. It sounds like you are doing lots of great things to cope and to overcome. Your mental health is so important and like you said, you are too young to let it limit your life. I hope you will reach out to someone you trust to help you get to a professional to guide you through this as well. Do you have a family member or friend who can do this with you?
Hello, thank you so much for your concern. Since the day I posted this, I am proud to say that it's gotten much better and I can stay outside for long hours now without feeling lightheaded or hot. I do have my mother and brother, and both of them were willing to take me to psychologist when I spoke to them about it. I haven't had an attack for quite some time now so let's see. :)