I Had a Not-So-Good Experience with my Psychiatrist

InfiniteRectangles

InfiniteRectangles

Okay, so generally I don't like to see psychiatrists because I don't like meds and I find them kind of full of themselves. Well, last week I had an appointment with a psychiatrist I've been seeing for a while, and it didn't go so well. First, he refused to change my medicine even though I told him it wasn't working and was giving me awful side effects. Then, he took me off of the other medicine that was supposed to help with the side effects, but he didn't replace it with another medicine. So now I have akathisia with nothing to relieve it. Then, I tried talking to him about schizoaffective disorder because I thought that I might have that instead of bipolar disorder. He didn't even acknowledge what I was saying. He had this attitude like he knows more than me so I shouldn't question him. I want to switch to a different psychiatrist but I don't have the money. What should I do? Try to find someone who will listen (and is within my price range), or try to get my current one to listen to me? I've been told that if I'm persistent enough then he might listen but I'm not so sure.

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

I am sorry to hear this doctor doesn't listen to you and is dismissive. I had a psychiatrist that actually had a true sense of equanimity but he was fired from the clinic I do to. I am a healthy angry about that. I don't know if you can get your doctor to listen to you. Usually they just have an attitude problem.

Deadheading

Deadheading

I would tell him to go to hell, and let him know that I would file a formal complaint on his arse. More and more I'm finding myself hating psychiatry.

D

Dulcie

Book an appointment with another doctor to get a second opinion. It won't hurt. :)