• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

I had a argument with my next door neighbor!

I

itsmeagain

I empathise. I've had a few run ins with my upstairs neighbours who are noisy. I also went in guns ablazing because I was at the end of my tether, so have made it difficult. Still think they are ass holes though.
Best thing I ever did was in 2vdifferent houses I had a flat bin, I zapped their on off electricity switch in the cellar, plunging them into darkness at 3am to stop the fucking music playing. 😅😴

C

Charleston49

Breathe... We all lose it sometimes and sounds like you had good reason!

Dont dwell.. invite her for a cuppa and some cake (English 9/10 love tea!) some day soon and she'll probably appreciate the chance to get out of her chaos house for half an hour. You'll have a chance to say you're embarrassed/ felt that you may have overreacted. Hopefully you'll both be laughing about it for years to come!
Thanks! I feel a little better that you guys agree and understand. I hope to not wake up in the middle of the night worrying tonight.

Ladyfair

Ladyfair

They are clearly wrong. I have a neighbor so bangs her door, she has two dogs that bark and bark. Some people don't care they think they can do whatever they want.

C

Charleston49

You are exactly right. I just talked to my sister in law and she said it was ridiculous that it’s been going on a month. She felt like because I had let it go for so long I finally snapped and that’s why I feel so bad. I really should have said something a while back but being new on the street I just didn’t want to cause problems. I’ve been always been able to get out of my driveway or they have moved their trucks. Thursday for some reason it just wasn’t happening with them moving their trucks and trailer. Well it’s been pretty quiet today until about 20 minutes ago when several trucks showed up with their new windows. None of the trucks are parked in front of my house. This is a first. It’s pretty loud over there so they must be demoing something but at-least I can get out of my driveway today. I did get some sleep last night and feel a little better because I didn’t cause this problem and it wasn’t like it just started, it’s been going on along time. Thanks for letting me “type it out” makes me feel so much better!

C

Charleston49

Hi,
I'm sure all will be resolved, try not to worry. We all get angry at times. You've said your sorry.
Maybe buy a bunch a flowers or a sorry card. Hope that's okay to suggest.
I have a horrible neighbour so do understand.
You've already learned from the experience which is great.
Hugs
Thanks!

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

I just recently moved into a new house 3 months ago. My next door neighbor started renovating her home extensively about a month ago. Both inside and outside and the pool. No quiet, constant trucks, jack hammers, hammering, music from the workers, workers parking in front of my house. I had to buy a baby sound machine so my dog could take naps during the day because it was so loud at my house. Very stressful. This past Thursday I was blocked in and could not get out of my drive way. I asked the workers to move, they did not. I got very upset so I went to my neighbors and we had a pretty heated discussion. I tried to talk with her the next day but she was still angry at me and told me she did not like the tone of voice I used with her and waved me off like I was a child. Anyway, my anxiety has been horrible because now I feel like I could have handled the situation better. I took out the fact the workers wouldn’t move the truck and trailer on her and now I have to live next door to her for the next 5 years until my daughter gets out of school. I haven’t slept in 3 days because I keep waking up thinking about it. What do you guys do to stop your brain from worrying so much after you’ve done something. I did apologize to her for getting so upset (the next day) (she flat out told me to my face she was not ready to talk to me) and now looking back I’m not entirely sure she knows I tried to get the workers to move the trucks and trailers from in front of my driveway before I went over to her house. However this has been going on for a month if not more with this nonsense. I just need to quit worrying and to get some sleep but I’m so stressed about going over to her house and demanding the trucks and trailer be moved from in front of my driveway. I’m not sleeping and feel sick about confronting her because I’m not like that at all but I was so mad they would not move the truck and trailer and I had to leave to go pick my daughter up from school I lost my mind! Literally!
I would have given the workers 10 minutes to move their vehicles, then I would have told them I have to be somewhere urgently and I'm calling a tow truck-and will bill them for the tow.

You have rights as well. I've had difficult neighbors, I know the problem. But, you have to stand your ground and not be meek about it. Sounds like you've been patient, but blocking your driveway is TOO FAR. It ends there.

You probably have to tolerate the noise until the renovation is done. If they get done at normal working hours, that's as much as you can expect. It will end soon. But the driveway blockage must stop NOW. You have the power to end it. Good luck and report out to the forum with your success-which I am sure you will have.

C

Charleston49

I would have given the workers 10 minutes to move their vehicles, then I would have told them I have to be somewhere urgently and I'm calling a tow truck-and will bill them for the tow.

You have rights as well. I've had difficult neighbors, I know the problem. But, you have to stand your ground and not be meek about it. Sounds like you've been patient, but blocking your driveway is TOO FAR. It ends there.

You probably have to tolerate the noise until the renovation is done. If they get done at normal working hours, that's as much as you can expect. It will end soon. But the driveway blockage must stop NOW. You have the power to end it. Good luck and report out to the forum with your success-which I am sure you will have.
Thank you!
Quick update....
So the incident happened last Thursday. It’s been VERY quiet this week. Not one work truck has parked in front of my house and I have not seen my neighbors except to see them move their cars around the corner so the workers could park in front of their house and in their driveway. I hate that it took me getting really upset for things to calm down to have some order on the street. The same amount of work trucks and trailer are there each day, they are just not parking in front of my house and driveway. Amazing how they found other places to park after I had to bring that to everyone attention. I’m hopeful at some point I will be on speaking terms with my neighbors again but if I am not I feel like I’ll survive. It’s been nice not having all the traffic in front of my house everyday. I had to have both my A/C and my icemaker worked on this week and the repair people I called to come to my house actually were able to park at my house. Also my yard man who helps me cut my grass was able to edge my front walkway for the first time in a month so it was a a good week.

C

Charleston49

Thank you!
Quick update....
So the incident happened last Thursday. It’s been VERY quiet this week. Not one work truck has parked in front of my house and I have not seen my neighbors except to see them move their cars around the corner so the workers could park in front of their house and in their driveway. I hate that it took me getting really upset for things to calm down to have some order on the street. The same amount of work trucks and trailer are there each day, they are just not parking in front of my house and driveway. Amazing how they found other places to park after I had to bring that to everyone attention. I’m hopeful at some point I will be on speaking terms with my neighbors again but if I am not I feel like I’ll survive. It’s been nice not having all the traffic in front of my house everyday. I had to have both my A/C and my icemaker worked on this week and the repair people I called to come to my house actually were able to park at my house. Also my yard man who helps me cut my grass was able to edge my front walkway for the first time in a month so it was a a good week.
Also.... I did get some sleep and my anxiety has gone down so the week has been good.

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

Thank you!
Quick update....
Don't second-guess yourself about making an issue of it. You sound like a good person, you tried the polite approach and it went over your neighbor's head. OK, you tried. But, YOU have rights as well. Nobody can block your access to the street, it's against the law. Don't be afraid to stand up for your rights.

I'll bet your neighbor respects you more now, you stood up for yourself. That always impresses people. You'll probably end up on speaking terms again, most neighbors do. But if you don't, it'll be HER loss.

I salute you, you stood up for yourself. That takes guts, not everybody has them. It was stressful, but I'll bet you feel better for having done it? You don't need to feel guilty for standing up for yourself, life is like that. You done good.

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

Also.... I did get some sleep and my anxiety has gone down so the week has been good.
Wonderful. You took a few steps forward, it's been a productive week. It was stressful, but progress usually is.

S

shirley u gessed

I know it must be hard to not dwell on this situation. It is actually illegal to block someone from leaving in their car, whether it's blocking a driveway, parking behind you in a parking lot etc. Try really hard to accept that you had a right to say something, that everyone gets upset at times, and also to just ignore this neighbor for the time being. It's a very good sign steps were taken to avoid parking near your home. It will be fine in time. You and she may never be great friends, but you are better off for having rightfully standing up for yourself when blocked in. If she holds that against you forever, then she is someone you didn't need in your life.