• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

I got rejected from my college course

D

DepressedTransGirl

Some people don't get chances in this society

I applied for a college course in marketing & communication on 10th of August and patiently waited to receive a call back for an college interview. I waited for almost 2 weeks and i still did not receive a call back and so i took the initiative to call and ask about my application. All of sudden they managed to get back to me and sent me an email telling me i need to make a motivation video along with a motivation letter (i know seems redundant, but i still did it) and send it via email.

They set me up with a very tight deadline. They did not answer me for 2 weeks and all of sudden i had to send a motivation video the very next day before 00:00 Midnight...but i still managed to do it. I put all my time and effort into trying to make it work and it was all in vain...i traveled for almost 2 hours back and forth to college only to receive a very vague explanation as to why they rejected my application...they said it had something to do with my motivation and did not further elaborate.

This isn't the 1st time...it's actually the 3rd time that i've been rejected on some vague claim of my motivation not being good enough. I even remember the time i applied for a hair dressing course...and it seemed like they were actively trying to discourage me from entering the course...mentioning my race (i'm black) and saying i must be aware that i will be taking care of European type of hair and not black hair and how it might be an obstacle for me in my college course...i also applied for a cooking college course and they kept mentioning ''the high costs'' of the college course. But then they still rejected me not because of they money, but because they believed i would not be motivated enough during the college course.

I gave it my all with the motivation video and letter, i even showed them an original formula i created in my free time to solve a math problem called ''triangular numbers'' just to show them my willingness to learn and that i love to study...i showed them my grades from my previous college course, 80% mark for math, 90% mark for language (Dutch) and none of it mattered!

This has been happening to me for years, all the way from childhood to young adulthood (now 25 years old) and i can't seem to get ahead in education despite showing my willingness to do so and having results to show it. The education i did receive is so poor and low that it can't properly support me through life.

It makes me severely depressed and makes me want to give up on everything and just not exist anymore.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
What are your options now?

G

goodgollymiss

I feel guilty because I was lazy the first two years of uni and was fired from a student job. There is a site with free uni called coursera. Ask the site about their free option. Most of the courses are too hard for me but they do have highschool and college like ones. I was also able to teach myself math with online prof university notes from their courses and wikipedia

Siegfried

Siegfried

Yikes, I started reading and taught maybe it was just regular failure, it happens even if sometimes it gets us down.

But reading it all it sound pretty clear you are facing some form of discrimination, which I cannot even begin to imagine how it feels.

Being from the EU, is there any chance you could move somewhere else with the union that maybe was less racist?

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

Some people don't get chances in this society

I applied for a college course in marketing & communication on 10th of August and patiently waited to receive a call back for an college interview. I waited for almost 2 weeks and i still did not receive a call back and so i took the initiative to call and ask about my application. All of sudden they managed to get back to me and sent me an email telling me i need to make a motivation video along with a motivation letter (i know seems redundant, but i still did it) and send it via email.

They set me up with a very tight deadline. They did not answer me for 2 weeks and all of sudden i had to send a motivation video the very next day before 00:00 Midnight...but i still managed to do it. I put all my time and effort into trying to make it work and it was all in vain...i traveled for almost 2 hours back and forth to college only to receive a very vague explanation as to why they rejected my application...they said it had something to do with my motivation and did not further elaborate.

This isn't the 1st time...it's actually the 3rd time that i've been rejected on some vague claim of my motivation not being good enough. I even remember the time i applied for a hair dressing course...and it seemed like they were actively trying to discourage me from entering the course...mentioning my race (i'm black) and saying i must be aware that i will be taking care of European type of hair and not black hair and how it might be an obstacle for me in my college course...i also applied for a cooking college course and they kept mentioning ''the high costs'' of the college course. But then they still rejected me not because of they money, but because they believed i would not be motivated enough during the college course.

I gave it my all with the motivation video and letter, i even showed them an original formula i created in my free time to solve a math problem called ''triangular numbers'' just to show them my willingness to learn and that i love to study...i showed them my grades from my previous college course, 80% mark for math, 90% mark for language (Dutch) and none of it mattered!

This has been happening to me for years, all the way from childhood to young adulthood (now 25 years old) and i can't seem to get ahead in education despite showing my willingness to do so and having results to show it. The education i did receive is so poor and low that it can't properly support me through life.

It makes me severely depressed and makes me want to give up on everything and just not exist anymore.
It sounds very disappointing. But if you really want this you'll have to be persistent and keep trying, eventually you'll succeed.

I'm an old guy, going to be 67 next month. That's kind of scary, but it is what it is. My point being, I have been knocked down by life a thousand times. I just got up 1001 times. I may not be the smartest, most talented guy in the world-but nobody could outwork me. I'd never quit. Ever.

Today, I have a PhD in Applied Physics and work on electric vehicle batteries as a Researcher. It's a great job and I love it. I'm getting ready to retire next year, but it's been a great ride for 45 years. But, I've had plenty of failure in my life-I felt like quitting many times. I was discouraged many times, I just wasn't going to let things beat me.

Life is full of disappointment and often it seems so unfair. I can see why you'd feel that way right now and I don't blame you for feeling that way. But don't let THEM beat you. If you just keep trying, you'll eventually have success. Take this failure as a learning experience-and go back next time trying something a little bit different. Persistence impresses people, it shows you have gumption. Don't accept failure as an option and you'll have a lot of success. I've seen it in my life. Good luck.

D

DepressedTransGirl

It sounds very disappointing. But if you really want this you'll have to be persistent and keep trying, eventually you'll succeed.

I'm an old guy, going to be 67 next month. That's kind of scary, but it is what it is. My point being, I have been knocked down by life a thousand times. I just got up 1001 times. I may not be the smartest, most talented guy in the world-but nobody could outwork me. I'd never quit. Ever.

Today, I have a PhD in Applied Physics and work on electric vehicle batteries as a Researcher. It's a great job and I love it. I'm getting ready to retire next year, but it's been a great ride for 45 years. But, I've had plenty of failure in my life-I felt like quitting many times. I was discouraged many times, I just wasn't going to let things beat me.

Life is full of disappointment and often it seems so unfair. I can see why you'd feel that way right now and I don't blame you for feeling that way. But don't let THEM beat you. If you just keep trying, you'll eventually have success. Take this failure as a learning experience-and go back next time trying something a little bit different. Persistence impresses people, it shows you have gumption. Don't accept failure as an option and you'll have a lot of success. I've seen it in my life. Good luck.
Thank you for the motivational talk!

I can't further express (beyond my post) that i'm definitely motivated and persistent..and have been my whole life to get where i wanted to be. But i just can't get ahead! Ive not been afforded the chance to even try and fail at anything, because i cannot even get my foot through the front door...when it comes to not only education, but also job hunting. Ive had so many of these rejections through out life.

That doesn't mean i stopped trying, but at the same time realistically speaking...my educational growth has been stunted! I won't be having 45 years from my mid twenties to a retirement age of 67...to accomplish anything remotely close to a PhD. The education ive received is so far removed from any job that requires higher education (heck even mid level education for some jobs).

My education level is perhaps good enough for a job at the grocery store and that's about it. But then again even if i applied they would not hire me (literally been there before). They will rather hire some 14 year old teenager that they don't have to pay as much salary to, than hire me and pay me what i'm worth.

Now i'm jobless, have no education and even a teenager is making more money than i am as a young adult.

D

DepressedTransGirl

Yikes, I started reading and taught maybe it was just regular failure, it happens even if sometimes it gets us down.

But reading it all it sound pretty clear you are facing some form of discrimination, which I cannot even begin to imagine how it feels.

Being from the EU, is there any chance you could move somewhere else with the union that maybe was less racist?
I feel guilty because I was lazy the first two years of uni and was fired from a student job. There is a site with free uni called coursera. Ask the site about their free option. Most of the courses are too hard for me but they do have highschool and college like ones. I was also able to teach myself math with online prof university notes from their courses and wikipedia
I wish i could even get the chance to potentially be lazy. Right now at the moment i don't know what to do..this rejection is a very hard let down for me. But hey at least i still love to learn even when it's outside of an educational setting, so i'll probably be doing that and perhaps try and apply for a mundane job as a sales person at a clothing store.

D

DepressedTransGirl

Ive wondered at times if my rejection had anything to do with my race. It's the last thing i wanted to consider as a possibility. But some questionable commentary Ive received from college interviews (like the ones i mentioned in my post) convinced me that race does unfortunately play a role.

The Netherlands is often regarded as a western utopia! Statistics point to high rates of overall happiness amongst dutch people. The Netherlands is often regarded as gay and trans friendly, racially diverse...free to smoke pot and sexually engage with prostitutes at the red light district type of country...there is some truth to it on the surface of course...but if you look deeper there is much to unpack, if you know what i mean.

Ive considered moving to a different country before, but that would be a very big change to make and i would have to start my life all over again. I would have to pick a country in the EU that wouldn't cause a language barrière. But then again i might still risk running into the same issues i had before migrating.

D

DepressedTransGirl

What are your options now?
At the moment i honestly don't know…this rejection hit me pretty hard and i'm gonna need at least 2 weeks to recover and get back in the saddle.