• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

i gonna find a job but i need an opinion

D

despised

i need to know if i get a job when i have bipolar and anxiety what if the job gets so stressful i have a mental breakdown while i'm working? would i need someone with me at all times or should i just not get a job? because of the same reason i didn't get to finish high school is because i would do stuff to myself and have mental breakdowns

Zero One

Zero One

I have bipolar and anxiety and sometimes it gets overwhelming for me at work but medication helps if I remember to take it. And I just keep thinking how much I need to work, so I have to push through.

L

LokiPokey75

Hi despised,

I worry about that a lot too. I don't have bipolar disorder, I have OCD, but it still worries that me that I'll get easily overwhelmed at work. Many jobs require too much of their employees and they don't have mental difficulties like us. For us, it's like trying to move a rock!

I think what it comes down to is identifying what you can handle on your own and what you can't. Have you never had a job before? That's fine, but you might need to volunteer or take something temporarily to gauge what you're capable of.

That's been the biggest problem for me. I've worked a little bit (I just actually lost my job working part-time at a bookstore where I'd been for 9 months), but I haven't worked a full-time job. I'm nervous because I don't know if I have the mental stamina to work for that long. But I have learned that I can work part-time, that I can shelve books and answer phones, write blog posts (separate temporary job) and a few other things. It's not enough to make me feel confident in myself, but it's something.

What one or two skills do you feel you possess? That will at least give you some idea of what kind of work you can do. The rest might be discovered through therapy (which I heartily recommend!) Otherwise, like Zero One, you might be better off trying medication.

It must be so difficult for you, despised. I feel terrible for you! I hope that you get some help so that you can get your life back on track.

Good luck to you!

D

despised

Hi despised,

I worry about that a lot too. I don't have bipolar disorder, I have OCD, but it still worries that me that I'll get easily overwhelmed at work. Many jobs require too much of their employees and they don't have mental difficulties like us. For us, it's like trying to move a rock!

I think what it comes down to is identifying what you can handle on your own and what you can't. Have you never had a job before? That's fine, but you might need to volunteer or take something temporarily to gauge what you're capable of.

That's been the biggest problem for me. I've worked a little bit (I just actually lost my job working part-time at a bookstore where I'd been for 9 months), but I haven't worked a full-time job. I'm nervous because I don't know if I have the mental stamina to work for that long. But I have learned that I can work part-time, that I can shelve books and answer phones, write blog posts (separate temporary job) and a few other things. It's not enough to make me feel confident in myself, but it's something.

What one or two skills do you feel you possess? That will at least give you some idea of what kind of work you can do. The rest might be discovered through therapy (which I heartily recommend!) Otherwise, like Zero One, you might be better off trying medication.

It must be so difficult for you, despised. I feel terrible for you! I hope that you get some help so that you can get your life back on track.

Good luck to you!
i've been in therapy multiple times but they kept leaving me and we couldn't afford it or my mom stopped looking even though she knows i need help she doesn't seem to care about my illness and for skills i have none i wasn't taught skills and it would be pretty hard for me since years ago i've been label mildly mentally challegened and learning disabled so those two things make it hard for me to learn things

D

despised

i've been in therapy multiple times but they kept leaving me and we couldn't afford it or my mom stopped looking even though she knows i need help she doesn't seem to care about my illness and for skills i have none i wasn't taught skills and it would be pretty hard for me since years ago i've been label mildly mentally challegened and learning disabled so those two things make it hard for me to learn things plus if i try to focus i lose track of my breathing

M

markprosso538

Hiya,
I'd say talk to a psychologist if it's possible to see what they say. If you think you need medication to level out, then perhaps see a psychologist. I would also say, whatever you do, please don't resort to drugs and alchohol, it will make things worse. Good Luck.