• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

I get triggered by negative opinions easily

Aperture

Aperture

I think this might be related to OCD, I'm just not quite sure where else it would fit. This sort of relates to another thread I made, but it's kind of a whole different issue.

One problem I have and constantly get annoyed at myself for is getting heavily triggered by negative opinions of stuff that I like, particularly on the internet. When there's something I have a genuine love for that has a sizable number of detractors online, I get bothered easily.

For example, let's say there's a popular game that I really find myself invested in. I spend hours playing it and have a genuine love for it. However, if I see a "critique" video with a comments section full of people calling this game "overrated garbage for people with low standards", it really strikes a nerve with me and almost makes me feel guilty for liking the game in question. It also negates my ability to fully enjoy the game because I get so fixated on negative opinions of it. Another example, let's say there's a movie that I really adored during my childhood, and still have a soft spot for it. It pops back into my head one day and I look it up out of curiosity, only to see low ratings and bad reviews on movie websites, and just a general lack of appreciation for it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I take it very personally. I have no idea why, I hate that it triggers me so much. It's also probably hypocritical of me because I have my fair share negative opinions on various things that I'd probably have no problem expressing online, but I generally try to respect other people's tastes. So why is it hard for me to accept that there's plenty of people out there who don't like what I like? If everybody had the same opinion, the world but be a boring place.

Honestly, it's been bugging me so much lately.

A

Aurelius

Hi Aperture, quite a lot of people have these feelings so do not over dwell on this. Certainly do not get annoyed or frustrated with yourself for reacting the way you do - there is nothing abnormal about it. On the whole, as humans we are far better at processing negative stuff and being sensitive to it than we are at responding to positive stuff. The reason for this is probably to do with our genetic programming - for many generations negative things have often been associated with potential harm or survival threats.

Aperture

Aperture

Hi Aperture, quite a lot of people have these feelings so do not over dwell on this. Certainly do not get annoyed or frustrated with yourself for reacting the way you do - there is nothing abnormal about it. On the whole, as humans we are far better at processing negative stuff and being sensitive to it than we are at responding to positive stuff. The reason for this is probably to do with our genetic programming - for many generations negative things have often been associated with potential harm or survival threats.
I know, I try not to be too hard on myself since they're just thoughts that I can't control, but the feeling is a rather problematic one. There's even been occasions where reading one or two negative opinions of something that I like ruined my day. I know it really shouldn't, but it does, which is really frustrating.

P

Purpleplum

If you develop more confidence in yourself, you'll be less affected by others opinions.

It sounds like you're identifying with the things you like as part of you are as a person and when people say something negative about a thing you like, it feels to you like they're feeling negatively about you as a person.

You're highly enmeshed in what defines you as a person and what your likes are.