I get pleasure from pain, but my mental condition is perfectly fine

U

unnamed

Like you can see from the title, I get pleasure from hurting myself. I think I'm getting addicted to it. I know that when your body is hurt it releases hormones called endorphins and that is why I get pleasure from hurting myself. I don't have a depression, anxiety or other mental issues, so I don't have any "reason" to do this. I just like it. I don't mind hurting myself if it feels good, but I don't like to see scars on my body. Because this is not so good habit I was wondering if there is some better ways to release endorphins, so I can get the similar feeling like from hurting myself. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mayfair

Mayfair

Admin
Like you can see from the title, I get pleasure from hurting myself. I think I'm getting addicted to it. I know that when your body is hurt it releases hormones called endorphins and that is why I get pleasure from hurting myself. I don't have a depression, anxiety or other mental issues, so I don't have any "reason" to do this. I just like it. I don't mind hurting myself if it feels good, but I don't like to see scars on my body. Because this is not so good habit I was wondering if there is some better ways to release endorphins, so I can get the similar feeling like from hurting myself. Thank you!
Yes, definitely not so good habit, and you'll end up covered in scars.

I think exercise as above, is probably going to be the main one. And probably quite vigorous exercise, though I'm sure a walk in the park does me wonders :)

I don't usually go to look things up on the internet, but this bold interested me, and other than exercise I couldn't think of anything else, so I did.

This reader's digest link (which I don't know if any good, but I've heard of it!) lists 10 ways... so perhaps look at this

:)

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
Please seek help for your self-harm, therapy especially cbt would help you to alter how you think.
Exercise is a great idea, do activities/hobbies as well.
Hope you'll be okay
Take care

Garmc

Garmc

Try talk to someone about your self-harming as it's not good but if you really need the pain try a rubber band around you're arm and just flick it

starrynite

starrynite

I'm sorry you are going through this. Have you read anything or done any research on self harm? Maybe if you learn why you are wanting to it, you will be able to quit. Ann VosKamp wrote a book called The Broken Way. She has experienced what you are going through and has been able to recover.

U

unnamed

@starrynite Well, better at least. When I've felt like needing to boost my endorphins I've done (really extreme) short workout. And after that I've felt pretty good. But sadly I'm not always in a place where I can start to do such a intense workout (obviously). So I thought maybe I should try that rubber band thing, although I'm not really convinced about that..?

Last edited:
starrynite

starrynite

Did you look up Ann VosKamp? Maybe since she has experienced this also, she could offer helpful things to try.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Self Harm Forum 2
K Self Harm Forum 5
S Self Harm Forum 2