• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

I found out my close friend with BPD was hacking into my instagram account. Anyone have any insight as to why or how to proceed?

E

equanamity15

This is a former roommate, a very close friend, and a person who was recently in my bridal party in August. During my bachelorette party, she got extremely intoxicated and kept saying to me "do you know how hard it is for the person you love to love someone else?" (she is a straight married mother of 3).

I found out very recently from my login activity that she was signed into my instagram account. I confronted her on it by trying to accept blame and asking if there was any way that I had stayed signed in on her home computer or phone on accident. (There was NO way this was the case).

She said she checked and "didn't think so." Ever since, she has completely given me the silent treatment, went from posting on her own social media account 3+ times per day to not posting a single thing either on her stories or on her personal account since the day I confronted her. (Over 2 weeks ago).

She has tremendous abandonment issues, and comes from an abusive childhood. I have had an extreme amount of empathy and love for her through out our 14 year friendship but this truly took it too far and really frightened me. Does anyone have any insight as to what may have been going through her head or what she may be thinking?

midnightphoenix

midnightphoenix

Forum Volunteer
Did you change your password after she did that? :hug:

She was maybe worried about what you was saying about her on there, if she gets paranoia :hug1:

E

equanamity15

@midnightphoenix thank you so much for your reply. It’s funny you say that because a few weeks prior she was not invited to another friends bachelorette party (after her behavior at mine). She does have paranoia and it makes sense if she was trying to ensure I wasn’t talking about her.
And yes, I changed every password to every account I have!

M

Mistral

You have done everything you can. Saying more than the hint you have already given to her will probably just make her dig a bigger hole for herself as a full confession is unlikely. Certainly do not mention it to anybody else or post online about it. Legally, they are only unproven allegations, so you have to be aware of that aspect as well.

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

Mmm. This is sad. She's let her trust / abandonment fears hurt and betray your privacy, and has lied and continues to lie to you.

I have been SO tempted to be able to see what my Favourite Person says to people on her phone. I don't care about Instagram or Facebook. I want to know what she says and who she talks to on Messenger, text and email. I actually googled how to be able to do this.

If it had been easy, and I could absolutely NEVER have been caught, I would have done it. Yes. I admit that.

I have this fear that she doesn't really care about me and I wanted to know if she was talking about me, and just...stuff like what she said to others, how she was feeling, there's a LOT of drama in her life with regard to her 2 adult kids and I never quite know who is telling the truth with all that stuff...

But it was too hard to do, so I never did it.

And I'm very glad I didn't, because even if she never found out, I'd feel terrible for having done it.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
K Just found out of my diagnosis Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 1
Delilah67 Found this petition for dbt funding Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 46
LittleMissNameless LOST AND FOUND Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 5
Fairy Lucretia i found my happy place x Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 5
ELV I found out the support I had is all a lie Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 3
midnightphoenix Found this on youtube Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 3
Deadheading Video I found about BPD rage Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 2
A I found out today.... Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 24
L I think I found my soulmate. Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 3
I found out Malingering, rightful diagnoses of BPD. Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 1
K Only just found out I have BPD Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 4
S Will my close friend with BPD come back to me in time after pulling away? Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 13
B Feeling like I'm close to breaking Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 6
wraziel Too close to get a job Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 6
Luci Close to giving up..... Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 15
C so close to breaking down :( Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 3
stevie_sloth I'm a bad friend to everyone but my FP Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 5
L my best friend keeps taking overdoses Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 2
frozendumplings anyone else unhealthily attached to their best friend Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 2
B Just one reliable friend Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 12
wraziel My friend left me and blocked me Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 2
A Friend or more Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 29
D Cant keep a friend Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 9
S Fear my boyfriend and friend are up to something, am I just paranoid? Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 42
M My friend needs help. Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 8
D Try to reach out to my friend or not Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 3
C My friend needs me, but I don't know if I am strong enough Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 1
N Friend chooses when i can exist in her life Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 13
wraziel Death of my internet friend breaks me AF, my heart, mind everything Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 8
V Not BPD related but my best friend was PTS today 💔 Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 12
S Conflict with friend - looking for advice Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 11
wraziel A friend from internet died Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 13
Fairy Lucretia meeting old school friend x Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 8
S Nobody Wants to be Your Friend (VENT) Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 13
almostordinary My best friend really hurt me Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 23
P Reconnected with old friend and then ghosted? Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 16
S Losing my best friend to BPD Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 40
A Looking for a friend from Dublin Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 5
1 Friend advice Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 2
P I just wish i had a friend who was there when it hits the fan. Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 6
Luci Argument with a friend.... *trigger* Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 11
P I told a friend about my suicidal thoughts and i feel bad for doing it. Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 14
S How do I help my friend who has BPD? Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 2
M Drove my friend away Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 4
Q Friend makes an asshole comment and I want to go into borderline rage Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 9
H what to do? - friend with bpd of 20+ years Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 2
M I want to be a better friend Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 2
W Friend of a BPD sufferer needing advice Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 1
C Is my ex playing games with my best friend and sister? Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 1
S How to set boundary with BPD friend? Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 4