• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I finally did it. :D

B

Becky Breakdown

:D

I called my doctor today and I have an appointment for tomorrow! :D
I'm so proud. After years of depression and weeks of trying to get my confidence up to call the doctors I've finally done it. :)
What should I say? I don't want to write anything down.

M

mad as a hatter

well done that,s the 1st step ur gp see what happens when u get there why don,t u want 2 write ne thing down sometime it can help show ur gp how u have been feeling lately even just a few lines might help

B

Becky Breakdown

I guess I'd just feel stupid if I write down a note.

M

mad as a hatter

no ur not been stupid at all better doing that than going and saying nothing and i,m sure ur gp will apreciate it as well

B

Becky Breakdown

What should I put in the note? Just like, how I feel?

Ahh, I'm so scared.

lal10

lal10

:clap: Well done becky!!

Next time I go to my GP i'm taking a list! I never feel like he has time to listen so I never say what I want to deep down so I'm going to write a list of how I feel and/or behave and what's bothering me so I can run through it quickly, or give it to him to read so I can get it all out in one go and maybe he will listen this time!!

Best of luck!

A

AussieGirl

Good on you!!

Hi Becky!

After years of the wrong diagnosis' (OCD, ADHD, depression) - about six months ago, I finally wrote down everything I wanted to say, but couldn't - and I pushed the doctor - I knew something was wrong, but it kept getting dismissed. It finally came out as bipolar (which everyone close to me knew all along)

If you write down your feelings and thoughts, you'll have the evidence there - even think of specific examples. It means you won't forget any of the important things. I also took my partner in with me, so if you have someone close to you who knows you - that could also help, as the more proof the doctors have - the harder it is to refute.

All the best for it, that's so great you've got the courage to go do that, you should be so proud of yourself.:grouphug:

CJ xxx

J

Jisatsu

Well done! It took me 5 years to pluck up the courage and I've only just started seeing someone about how I feel. Just explain to your doctor what has made you decide to come now and how you feel on a whole.

I was terrified when I saw my doctor for the first time but they should be very nice!

D

DELATEXT

Well done

WELL DONE, AMAZING, HOPE YOU GET THE HELP YOU NEED,
WILL BE CHEERING YOU ON !!
ALL THE BEST..

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

B

Becky Breakdown

Thanks guys!:)

I'm scared but I really can't wait! It's unreal how much better I feel just because I know I'll finally have someone to talk to.

lal10

lal10

You're on the first step of the road to recovery!!

A massive well done and loads of luck for the future!!!

Stay strong and go for it girl!!!!
:clap:

R

rpc27

Well done for taking such a positive step!

The one piece of advice that I might give is to be as open and honest as you can, they really are there with your best interests at heart. It might feel difficult at times, or awkward, but if you can really get across what's going on in your head they will be in the best position to help you in the best way they can.

Good luck for tomorrow, do let us know how it went for you.

Rob

B

Becky Breakdown

I don't know what to do. :'(

I've been to the doctors. He only asked me how much I sleep per night (8+ hours) and if my weight has changed (it's not). I tried to explain how I felt but I'm sure he didn't taken anything in. He kept on telling me how there's nothing clinically wrong me, and how bad moods that last months are common.
He said he'd refer me to the psychiatric team or something, but I'm afraid that they won't listen to me because the doctor thinks I'm fine.

A

Adi01

Sorrt you didnt get the result you wanted. Dont take any rubbish. you know how you feeling im afraid you may need to be assertive with your doctor. If your not happy, go back. Make him listen

M

mad as a hatter

he didn,t sound 2 understanding did he bad moods that last for months r normal2 hi m he,s in the wrong job then so ishe goin refer u if he thinks that is there another gp in the practice u could go 2 mabe they,d be more understanding there attitudes r shocking at times they really r