• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

I feel so guilty, it's eating me up inside.

JoseBartl3t

JoseBartl3t

Since February 2020 I've been worried about cell phone radiation. There have been studies showing that phones cause infertility in men. I don't really care if my phone makes me infertile, I'm more worried about the effect it would have on my family. If phones cause infertility through radiation, then that will reach other people besides the user.

Anyway, I thought I got over this fear however it has come back after I read some evidence and now I feel like I could cry. I feel so guilty about using technology around other people, even though they are using that technology themselves. I understand that it's like living in a house where everyone constantly smokes, but I won't smoke because I'm worried that you would give everyone else second-hand smoke, even though they are already smoking. But I just can't take the position of 'Oh well, everyone else is harming themselves so I might as well harm them too'.

This ruined my life the last time it happened, I wouldn't use any electronics and became isolated from other people. I didn't call friends or family, I didn't watch TV, I didn't turn on lightbulbs, I refused to even wear a digital watch, and in COVID Lockdown for 5 months it really begins to take its toll. I understand that giving up a phone doesn't seem like that big of a deal, but when you don't use it for weeks and you have no friends to talk to it begins to isolate you, but I still don't like the idea of sacrificing my families health over my phone. I don't know what to do, I feel so sad right now and just want to have some peace and stability in my life. Christmas is also coming up, and I was so looking forward to it but now I feel like I'll be scared all the time on the day.

P

Purpleplum

You would have to live in a bubble to keep yourself away from every possible danger there is. Don't live life in a bubble.

D

Deleted member 92692

Since February 2020 I've been worried about cell phone radiation. There have been studies showing that phones cause infertility in men. I don't really care if my phone makes me infertile, I'm more worried about the effect it would have on my family. If phones cause infertility through radiation, then that will reach other people besides the user.

Anyway, I thought I got over this fear however it has come back after I read some evidence and now I feel like I could cry. I feel so guilty about using technology around other people, even though they are using that technology themselves. I understand that it's like living in a house where everyone constantly smokes, but I won't smoke because I'm worried that you would give everyone else second-hand smoke, even though they are already smoking. But I just can't take the position of 'Oh well, everyone else is harming themselves so I might as well harm them too'.

This ruined my life the last time it happened, I wouldn't use any electronics and became isolated from other people. I didn't call friends or family, I didn't watch TV, I didn't turn on lightbulbs, I refused to even wear a digital watch, and in COVID Lockdown for 5 months it really begins to take its toll. I understand that giving up a phone doesn't seem like that big of a deal, but when you don't use it for weeks and you have no friends to talk to it begins to isolate you, but I still don't like the idea of sacrificing my families health over my phone. I don't know what to do, I feel so sad right now and just want to have some peace and stability in my life. Christmas is also coming up, and I was so looking forward to it but now I feel like I'll be scared all the time on the day.
I understand your worries but have a look at the general population. Mass population equals mass numbers for study. You might get hit with a bus or lightening. Way more likely as illness from technology

JoseBartl3t

JoseBartl3t

I understand your worries but have a look at the general population. Mass population equals mass numbers for study. You might get hit with a bus or lightening. Way more likely as illness from technology
Thank you! I guess that’s true, I don’t know if it would be more likely because if phones cause illness then it would affect all phone owners, but lightning or buses are random, uncontrollable events. However, I understand your point that anything can happen and I can’t really prevent all risk.

D

Deleted member 92692

Thank you! I guess that’s true, I don’t know if it would be more likely because if phones cause illness then it would affect all phone owners, but lightning or buses are random, uncontrollable events. However, I understand your point that anything can happen and I can’t really prevent all risk.
There is not only one kind of radiation. The harmless stuff is all in the spectrum from photons to electromagnetic. Unless you smoking some radioactive stuff your going to be fine 👍👍👍👍

JoseBartl3t

JoseBartl3t

There is not only one kind of radiation. The harmless stuff is all in the spectrum from photons to electromagnetic. Unless you smoking some radioactive stuff your going to be fine 👍👍👍👍
Thanks! Yeah, I know that phones fundamentally shouldn’t be able to harm you, but on the other hand studies have correlated cell phone use will infertility. So I don’t really know what to believe, but it is comforting knowing that our knowledge of radiation indicates phones can’t make people infertile.

Last edited by a moderator: