I feel so down

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dulcie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Tonight after dinner my wife Mandy said our doctor diagnosed her with heart failure. A 20% heart failure condition after an ECG revealed it this afternoon. Up to today Mandy never told me. I've always said tell me, keep me in the news and not hesitate. :cry:

I'm not cross with her; just feel let down. Doctor prescribed her Ramipril to take before evening meals and Bisoprolol first thing in the morning. Both meds are 2.5mg for the time being, the Ramipril actually strengthens the heart and prevents strokes.

This means we can't be going skiing, or do any physical activities outside as Mandy will just tire out. Her parents had heart trouble. In a way I'm not surprised.

It's just another 'nail' at around Christmas time we can do without. I find Christmas so difficult; we all do in our own ways, even Peggy has her trials though she is very fit physically which is good, she has emotional problems, brave little soul that she is.

Mandy has been put in contact with The British Heart Foundation, a very good charity.

And I've been told to slow down, too. Overworking again, but it is Christmas and jewellers all have the same problem: overwork.

My other new year's resolution is to slow down and do less hours.

D

Dulcie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Really sorry to hear this Dulcie.

It's a case of getting on with one's life and champing the bit, but hoping the best for my loved ones doing what I can for Mandy and Peg. Just wish it wasn't at this time of the year. Listening to Christmas carols doesn't help either.

Thank you and Burt for visiting. :)

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

I don’t know but a diet based on lowering cholesterol, like burt says. For me I would look at things natural things that help with this. Porridge oats for one..

I was with a friend today who has high cholesterol and I couldn’t help but notice that they were in flagrant disregard of it . and they used to work in a hospital environment too

write

write

I'm sorry Dulcie, bad news is hard at any time but just now must feel too much. Hope M gets good help and treatment xx

E

exyz

Hello Dulcie, you are all in my thoughts, I think Christmas is a tough time to get news like that. The British Heart Foundation are excellent.
Carols are both sweet and sorrowful for me also. Thinking of you all tonight x

D

Dulcie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Thank you so much everyone for your caring supportive posts. Burt, thanks for that book link. I'll get on to that later after breakfast. Blacksmoke thanks, but it's not Mandy's cholesterol that is the problem - that was was tested to be fine. My wife's heart condition is linked to her parents', name heart failure which is being treated with what my doctor thinks to be the best available for heart patients.

I just wish that Mandy had seen the doctor earlier AND told me of her feeling such fatigue. My fault was because I'd been involved too much in work to notice, coming home too tired. It's been 15 hour days, short breaks for lunch tea and coffee, my workshop is next door so no commute, thus such long hours. This is going to stop after Christmas, been the busies time of my life. Poor Mandy though I wish she'd told me earlier. Now I have to cancel our skiing trip to Switzerland.

Again, thank you my friends for such wonderful support. You are a dear bunch. :)

D

Dulcie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I don’t know but a diet based on lowering cholesterol, like burt says. For me I would look at things natural things that help with this. Porridge oats for one..

I was with a friend today who has high cholesterol and I couldn’t help but notice that they were in flagrant disregard of it . and they used to work in a hospital environment too
Forgot to say that we have porridge most mornings, thanks. Mandy also is borderline Type 1 diabetic, being constantly watched for sugar levels as we have a sensor strip tester, a Glucomen LX. Fortun ately she's not had a hypo yet, better for being on a sugar-restricted diet for some time. Peggy and I have been doing all we can for her, and we even have a pen injector should she faints. Our doctor prescribed it so now we have 2: one each. Peggy has been trained to administer it, also she's been trained to give low-dose insulin to Mandy. Presently her sugars on the monitor showed 6.5 mmols which is well within the diabetic parameter.

Generally my family eat well, but sensibly and they do exercise since we have a good home gym. The set-up was done by my personal trainer when I had him, so our gym costs much, much cheaper than membership to Bannatyne's. Now since learning Mandy's heart condition, I've got to make sure she gets more exercise.

One more of importance is she's taking a prophelatic antibiotic every day to ward off the threat of cellulitis. Having had three horrible attacks of it this year, putting her in hospital, it was about tiume she started an every day antibiotic. She take 250mg Flucloxacillin an hour before dinner. Our doctor says it should work, though I fear Mandy may in time become immune to the antibiotic. Better though than being rushed to hospital and have 2 grams via IV. She's terrified of getting the tissue infection again, and frankly I don't blame her.

Just while I remember, but since last weekend Peggy has been having emotional issues. I'll have to share this later as the work phone's started... :rolleyes:

D

Dulcie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
just this minute found this
How to Prevent Cellulitis: Remember These Tips

i aint no doc and i have no opinion reg that product it was the article that was helpful

Thanks for that! Very useful and great info. I am most grateful to you. :) Mandy already takes probiotics in Yakult form which works out lots cheaper than tablets which those cost a lot. She also takes 250mg Flucloxacillin as a prophelatic antibiotic though which will reduce her chances of returning cellulitis, increases the chance of later becoming immune to them.

Her feet had ulcers caused by diabetes, and I complained that at the time her doctors never gave her a blood test to reveal her Type 2, something which they denied. But I have written proof of her initial diagnostic which my lawyer says I have right to sue for 'medical negligence'. This was her previous doctor's surgery since we were living in another part of the county.

ETA, but Manuka honey is useless unless already placed in a surgical dressing. Applied on its own to a leg wound/ulcer can induce more bacteria to multiply. Coconut oil prevents a patient's skin from breathing, inducing cellulitis. But thanks anyway. :)

Last edited:
blacksmoke

blacksmoke

like i say i aint no doc and it just goes to show that we need to be diligent about information we read on the net as everyone and their gerbil...

thats interesting what you say though

D

Dulcie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
In the circumstances regarding the separation from my wife, I would appreciate it if a staff member could now close this thread.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.