I feel nothing, and then too much.

I_Wish

I_Wish

I've been laying in bed for almost 3 hours now, staring at the cieling. I don't know why I do this, why I just lay there doing nothing, thinking nothing, and feeling nothing. I have things to do, I'm a busy person and I'm still in school, but I can't bring myself to do anything, I don't want to pack, don't want to hang out with my long term boyfriend, I don't want to think or do things. I just want to be left alone. Sometimes it's because things are too overwhelming for me, but it also just happens out of the blue. I lose feeling in myself. One second I'm joking around having fun, the next I feel numb, I suddenly stop caring or wanting to interact. Not because I dislike what I'm doing or who I'm with, it's just like someone's pulled a switch on my emotions and drained them out of me completely. It happens with my boyfriend alot. We can be hanging out and cuddling or he's hugging me and suddenly i just have to push him away because its so overwhelming. Sometimes when this happens, I start thinking things I don't normally think, horrible things, "why am I staying?" "I don"t think I actually care about him." "End it." Then there are times when it's really just nothing, where I just, can't connect to anything or anyone I talk to, I try, but my mind feels so empty. This happens when I'm alone, with friends, family, doesn't matter who. I don't know how else to explain it, and I cant deal with this constant flip flop between too aggravated, and then suddenly nothing at all. I've tried talking to my counselor, but I'm scared to ask for a diagnosis for what I could have. I have a lot of other symptoms of a few disorders, but self-diagnosing is tricky and I don't even know how to categorize half of what I feel. Do other people feel like this? What do I call it? And how do you deal with it? ( also if anyone can answer on how I ask my counselor about getting tested for possible mental illnesses that would be great, I don't know how to even start that process and I want to be taken seriously).

P

PsychoPrince

What is it that scares you about receiving a diagnosis?

I_Wish

I_Wish

What is it that scares you about receiving a diagnosis?
One, my parents reaction, my mom questions it a lot when I express how I feel, and i guess I'd feel like a let-down. Then I guess part of me is scared that it turns out to be nothing or made up and its all in my head. Its irrational and stupid, but I feel like if I ask them, then it'll turn into, "it's something everyone deals with, why can't you?" I guess too, I've never felt comfortable asking, I don't even know where to begin.

P

PsychoPrince

Those are profoundly untrue things your mom is saying. If you are down and out to the point of being unhealthy, you have a a condition to be taken seriously. Those things you describe your mom saying are full of ignorance and apathy. A diagnosis might actually put that to a stop if you allow a therapist to put a label to the problem.

Beginning is simple, find a therapist in your area. All you do is go in and talk. Talk as much as you want, as little as you want, you are in control. A therapists office is also likely to have a psychiatrist in office, they will be able to prescribe you a med. If they don't have one they can certainly refer you to one, that is even if they feel you need meds.

I deal with parents who aren't understanding either, it can be very infuriating. Know that you are not alone in dealing with that.