• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

i feel like quitting my new job. what can i do to not quit this time?

R

redpillar

that's what i have always done till now, quit within a few days. but this time i don't want to quit but the urge to quit is so strong.

Admiral Franklin Buchanan

Admiral Franklin Buchanan

I actually did quit my current job once. I had all these reasons for quitting and stress from it I had two mini-strokes in as many months. I had ruined a lot of my relationships at work and I thought one of my best friends was stealing sales leads behind my back, etc.
I have narcolepsy. For decades, I thought the hallucinations were narcolepsy related. Luckily, a dr. at the Cleveland Clinic sleep center asked me a question no doctor ever asked before "when do you hallucinate (narcoleptics only do it upon waking)." She told me I needed to see a psychologist about the hallucinations and instantly I though Schizophrenia. As I read about it and delusional thinking, I realized I couldn't trust my judgement and rescinded my notice. Luckily, the boss really wanted me to stay. I had only three days left of that notice to work out.
Turned out all my reasons for quitting were bullcrap, just delusions. When I made a conscious decision not to trust my negative thoughts or act upon them, I started to see things differently. The job was actually the best job I ever had.

Narcoleptics, by the way, never type Narcolepsy in their forums. They just say "N" instead. Funny how we don't do that for Schizophrenia, which is a longer word.

L

Lightanddark

I actually did quit my current job once. I had all these reasons for quitting and stress from it I had two mini-strokes in as many months. I had ruined a lot of my relationships at work and I thought one of my best friends was stealing sales leads behind my back, etc.
I have narcolepsy. For decades, I thought the hallucinations were narcolepsy related. Luckily, a dr. at the Cleveland Clinic sleep center asked me a question no doctor ever asked before "when do you hallucinate (narcoleptics only do it upon waking)." She told me I needed to see a psychologist about the hallucinations and instantly I though Schizophrenia. As I read about it and delusional thinking, I realized I couldn't trust my judgement and rescinded my notice. Luckily, the boss really wanted me to stay. I had only three days left of that notice to work out.
Turned out all my reasons for quitting were bullcrap, just delusions. When I made a conscious decision not to trust my negative thoughts or act upon them, I started to see things differently. The job was actually the best job I ever had.

Narcoleptics, by the way, never type Narcolepsy in their forums. They just say "N" instead. Funny how we don't do that for Schizophrenia, which is a longer word.
I also did the same as I was becoming unwell

R

redpillar

Why do you feel the need to quit your job
I am too stressed but it's hard to explain this kind of stress.

I can't do other things that i used to do for fun because i am either too tired from work or too sleepy because of meds (depending on the time of the day). (maybe in reality i am just lazy and find it hard to do anything with work). It's like if i work i can't do anything else the whole day, i am mentally busy all day on my shift days. And i don't even work too long, i only work part time. I need to study too and on work days i can't study and on study days i can't work but i need to study full time (and ideally work part time along with that, but it's not happening, i am failing at life)

Last time i quit my job thinking i'll study full time better, but that didn't happen either. So this time i need to keep the job and find a way to study, but i don't know how that'll happen.

N

Notalwaysever

I have a habit of suddenly quitting jobs because it gets to be too much for me. Have you thought about just working less hours? I think that is what I am going to do. I have been doing spreadsheets all day trying to figure out the minimum I can work and still cover my bills.

R

redpillar

I have a habit of suddenly quitting jobs because it gets to be too much for me. Have you thought about just working less hours? I think that is what I am going to do. I have been doing spreadsheets all day trying to figure out the minimum I can work and still cover my bills.
I did the same and got my hours reduced recently but even with reduced hours i still get the same feeling of quitting, but it's mainly because i can't do other things/study on days that i work. i am having trouble managing. i tried making an hourly calendar but i ended up not doing anything if i worked that day.

N

Notalwaysever

I did the same and got my hours reduced recently but even with reduced hours i still get the same feeling of quitting, but it's mainly because i can't do other things/study on days that i work. i am having trouble managing. i tried making an hourly calendar but i ended up not doing anything if i worked that day.
I used to do the hourly calendar thing. I would break my whole day up into 15 minute blocks and schedule out every minute. I drove myself completely off the edge doing that and would frequently get very ill due to trying to cram too much in...sleep looks like such a waste of time on an hourly calendar.
I am still working part time and going to school full time, it is a lot for me and I have trouble with it. I am looking for a job that asks less of me while I am there so that when I get home I am not has drained. Today wasn’t even a hard day but tomorrow is going to be and I am all freaked out worrying about it.

K

karl7

I am too stressed but it's hard to explain this kind of stress.

I can't do other things that i used to do for fun because i am either too tired from work or too sleepy because of meds (depending on the time of the day). (maybe in reality i am just lazy and find it hard to do anything with work). It's like if i work i can't do anything else the whole day, i am mentally busy all day on my shift days. And i don't even work too long, i only work part time. I need to study too and on work days i can't study and on study days i can't work but i need to study full time (and ideally work part time along with that, but it's not happening, i am failing at life)

Last time i quit my job thinking i'll study full time better, but that didn't happen either. So this time i need to keep the job and find a way to study, but i don't know how that'll happen.
@redpillar ....when i was in college i had a aprt time job as a security guard......i went to college on monday to friday and on the weekends i worked in security......i was able to study all day saturday and sunday and get paid very well for it too.....just a piece of advice......also security work is so easy and you have alot of free time while working....look in to it

N

Notalwaysever

Well I am quitting my job Monday, I got hired at a new one. It is supposed to be actually a lot more hours but they will leave me alone on my off time and the time I am there should be less intense. Just in time for school starting so I hope it is not a mistake. I could really use the health insurance though.