I feel like i have wasted my youth

B

boo24555

I am 21 and for the last 5 years I have been depressed. This has result in me putting my life on hold. I haven't done anything with my life. I work at my dad company , which is a dead end job that i hate. I have never been in a relationship. I am not going to any college or school. The reason why i can't seek any help for my depression is that every time I try to my dad start to yell and scream at me for it ( I still live at home). He doesn't believe it is a real disease. I feel trapped. I feel like one day i am going to wake up and be old and have nothing to show for it.

What do i do?

S

Stray

Can you get to a GP or therapy appointment on your own? You don't need to tell your dad about it? You still have lots of time to live your life xx

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

can you not move out. as when you have parents that cant/wont cope/care are worse than useless. this i know for a fact.

i feel angry on your behalf regarding your dad. he obviously cant cope with anything other than surface stuff. and i know what that is like. when i start to feel crap and i am at my parents i just get up and leave as they cant cope/accept my mh (mental health - not that i can!) for me that is the only way i can deal with my parents they dont want to acknowledge my mh so the only thing left for me to do is to get up and go. and this is many years later. so so so glad i have a place of my own

yes youth is wasted on the young -Robbie Williams. can you see about getting involved with say something like the Princess trust - https://www.princes-trust.org.uk/ have a good l00k around this site as there is personal development and help to get into work etc

how about
Get Connected | Essential support for under 25s
Support for young people | Buttle UK
Increase employment opportunities for young people - Catch22

what about doing some voluntary work overseas? you are at a fabulous time of life to do this.

see what you think. dont wait for your parents to come good as they wont is my experience its down to you now but if you look at these sites that may get you thinking.

you are not on your own. keep your chin up and dont let your dad be an arsehole. find help outside the family is what i would strongly advise you to do.

have you been to the doc. you dont need to tell your parents if you do go and also what about counseling again you dont need to tell your parents this.

take care and dont give up. :goodluck:

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

I am 21 and for the last 5 years I have been depressed. This has result in me putting my life on hold. I haven't done anything with my life. I work at my dad company , which is a dead end job that i hate. I have never been in a relationship. I am not going to any college or school. The reason why i can't seek any help for my depression is that every time I try to my dad start to yell and scream at me for it ( I still live at home). He doesn't believe it is a real disease. I feel trapped. I feel like one day i am going to wake up and be old and have nothing to show for it.

What do i do?
Plan your escape, IMO.

you sound like youre living a life of virtual slavitude complete with abuse. Depending on what your father is paying you, there could easily be a Human Rights issue right in your own house.

get busy on the internet and phone to find out what your rights are, if you can get housing. Because youre so young the Agencies should move heaven and earth to get you away from this situation.

He may be your dad and you love him, but the way you're being forced to live is Not Right. Its like he OWNS you, and he doesn't.

all the best

BDU

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Pixieb34

Your dad is mistaken, depression sucks! you might have a chemical imbalance and get better on anti depressants, but it sounds like you need some more fun in your life. My nurse got me into my own flat. I'm sorry your dad is funny about mental illness. Please don't think you are old,21 is a great age. I thought I was old at that age and now I wish I'd had a laugh and enjoyed it. Sounds like you need to meet some nice friends. Are there any local groups you can join? X

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

What do i do?
Hi Boo,
Visit your dr and don't tell anyone. It's your life and your dad has to let go, many older students ( 21) isn't old attend college and uni.
You've plenty of time to enjoy your life, get your depression sorted first then start planning what you'd like to do. Many people don't understand mental health problems.
Take care

Nikita

Nikita

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Don't waste anymore time on your dad and his company,he is treating you like a wage slave,he won't listen to you saying you are depressed cos he knows you are unhappy working for him and he doesn't want you to go elsewhere,he knows he will lose the free labour,he fears you questioning what you feel.

My family used me like this from age 16-24.I was ill by the end of it and unsupported I went to university but had a breakdown/psychosis cos I was so isolated and in so much emotional pain.

If it is your circumstances making you depressed you won't get better unless you change them for the better.

If you think though that your GP can help maybe get you a counselor to talk through your options,only make the decision to leave work whatever pressure your dad puts you under.

Fight him and just leave don't try and get his agreement,permission just leave.I bet he makes a fuss just ignore it and don't go to work,search for other job options!You will feel better for it.

Other posters/member on this thread have given good advice too and make sure you follow up the links on changing your job!Good luck,I wish you happiness in the future.Nikitax

I

Ideservejustice

Its just the start you are 21 you have so much you could be starting the best bit.