• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I feel like I’m losing my mind

NicoleB

NicoleB

I was diagnosed with BPD a couple of months ago. I have had no support from my mental health team and no luck with anti-depressants( which I have taken for 4 years). I find that I’m okay for a little bit and then I crash so hard. I can’t control my emotions. I don’t know what the next step is. Do I push for mood stabilisers?

N

Nukelavee

Hmmm.

I'm on Venlafaxine for depression, Mirtazapine for anxiety/sleep, and Rexulti, which seems to be a mood stabilizer for me. Note - Rexulti is expensive, but it's a tiny dose.

I felt like you, I was taking my other meds for years, but it took the addition of the Rexulti to really stop the worst anxiety and depression.

Things feel a bit "flat" now, but for me, it's worth it.

So - yeah, I think you should at least ask about it. And, with me, I noticed a difference within days.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
Welcome to the forum
I'm sorry you've had bad experiences with your mental health care team.
I would push for a med review and possibly therapy as well.
Hugs

B

Blackrose09

Hmmm.

I'm on Venlafaxine for depression, Mirtazapine for anxiety/sleep, and Rexulti, which seems to be a mood stabilizer for me. Note - Rexulti is expensive, but it's a tiny dose.

I felt like you, I was taking my other meds for years, but it took the addition of the Rexulti to really stop the worst anxiety and depression.

Things feel a bit "flat" now, but for me, it's worth it.

So - yeah, I think you should at least ask about it. And, with me, I noticed a difference within days.
Hi. Never heard of rexulty before. Can you tell me if it is good for insomnia and more details about how it us helping you? If is contraindicated for those who have concetration problems and agitation/anxiety.

NicoleB

NicoleB

I’m from the UK and public healthcare is generally great, but with my mental health it’s not been so great.. things have to get really really bad for any action to be taken. Of course, I don’t want to spiral like that :( so I am thinking of going through private healthcare, so I can have some answers and a proper care plan. Part of me thinks there is more to my mental health than BPD. Possibly Bipolar Disorder, but my highs aren’t as ‘high’ as what is suggested online. Thank you all for the replies. I feel so much better just knowing there are others that go through this too. Sending love to all who are struggling.

N

Nukelavee

Hi. Never heard of rexulty before. Can you tell me if it is good for insomnia and more details about how it us helping you? If is contraindicated for those who have concetration problems and agitation/anxiety.
Rexulti is, I believe, the new "version" of Amblify. I think. Technically, it's called Brexpiprazole.

I take it in the morning, and it doesn't appear to affect my sleep one way or the other.

I went through a harsh loss of a friendship 3 years ago, and it really set me off. I couldn't shake the anxiety at all for about a year, so my doctor suggested Rexulti. Within 3 or 4 days, the physical anxiety was gone. poof.

As I said, it does make my emotions a bit flatter, and my focus seems a bit worse, ie, it seems easier to sort of zone out when doing things now.

Still, compared to how I felt, I think it was a success. Also - I take .25mg a day, which works out to $75/month. So, not stupid expensive, but not cheap. And because it's new, there are no cheap versions available, at least in Canada.

B

Blackrose09

Rexulti is, I believe, the new "version" of Amblify. I think. Technically, it's called Brexpiprazole.

I take it in the morning, and it doesn't appear to affect my sleep one way or the other.

I went through a harsh loss of a friendship 3 years ago, and it really set me off. I couldn't shake the anxiety at all for about a year, so my doctor suggested Rexulti. Within 3 or 4 days, the physical anxiety was gone. poof.

As I said, it does make my emotions a bit flatter, and my focus seems a bit worse, ie, it seems easier to sort of zone out when doing things now.

Still, compared to how I felt, I think it was a success. Also - I take .25mg a day, which works out to $75/month. So, not stupid expensive, but not cheap. And because it's new, there are no cheap versions available, at least in Canada.
Thank you so much for your answer. I think i dont want to try that as i already have periods of time when i experience flat affect and i have troupe focusing. But im glad it is helping you. And sorry for your loss....
If is symilar to abilify than no it is not for me, i tryed it and i ended up breaking things from anger for no reason.
Thanks again tot your answer.

OCDguy

OCDguy

I was diagnosed with BPD a couple of months ago. I have had no support from my mental health team and no luck with anti-depressants( which I have taken for 4 years). I find that I’m okay for a little bit and then I crash so hard. I can’t control my emotions. I don’t know what the next step is. Do I push for mood stabilisers?
I'm no Doctor or Professional, but could what you have described here be part of the nature of BPD? If it is, could it be that you need to understand that there will be a pattern like you described? I don't suffer with BPD myself (so if I have totally got it wrong I am sorry and please forgive and correct me), but I think if I am right and if I did suffer with BPD I would lower my expectations during the lows, and come up with a coping strategy for those times too. Hope this helps...

NicoleB

NicoleB

Thank you for your reply. You are right, this could be the nature of the BPD itself. I started to journal my mood swings but found that I was obsessing over it and hyper aware. I definitely think coming up with a coping strategy is the way forward. Any ideas you can share at all? I have heard of a ‘crisis box’ where all your favourite things go in and helps calm you down. I kinda like the idea of this.

M

MetallicPurple

Has anyone else tried Lithium and a mood stabiliser?

N

Nukelavee

Thank you for your reply. You are right, this could be the nature of the BPD itself. I started to journal my mood swings but found that I was obsessing over it and hyper aware. I definitely think coming up with a coping strategy is the way forward. Any ideas you can share at all? I have heard of a ‘crisis box’ where all your favourite things go in and helps calm you down. I kinda like the idea of this.
It's a good idea.