• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

I feel invalid because they don't scar badly...

N

notsurviving

I haven't SH in a month, but I feel like my SH was never valid because it wasn't deep enough. I feel as though it makes me look as though i've never been through anything because the scars are small and it makes me want to harm again to make them deeper
Please tell me im not the only one who feels like this...

SomeSwedishGirl

SomeSwedishGirl

I haven't SH in a month, but I feel like my SH was never valid because it wasn't deep enough. I feel as though it makes me look as though i've never been through anything because the scars are small and it makes me want to harm again to make them deeper
You’re not alone in having feelings like that. But in my opinion, thinking that your own hurt and sh isn’t valid is just an extended form of SH.
Don’t put yourself down, and never compare your own experiences to someone elses. If you are hurt, then you are hurt and have all the right to be hurting for it.

TheSadnessWillLastForever

TheSadnessWillLastForever

I used to feel the same way and ended up having noticeable visible scars and it makes me feel really self conscious and I've been judged by them before so there's a different side you might not be ready for if you do go deeper, I used to think I wouldn't care if I had noticeable scars but I have them now and I wish I didn't, just think about it.

S

sun123

i still feel like this. sometimes i try to look for the scars because i think that i was just out of my mind and that my pain wasn't as valid as others who had deep scars. i sometimes want to harm again as well. these days i have urges to self harm again anyways and not sure what to do.

F

fightthegoodfight

I can absolutely relate and have felt similarly. It is a trick of the mind though, dont listen to it. If you give in and do go deeper, you will only feel worse. Never have I felt better for taking things further. The self-loathing and the shame only increases when you choose to go further, much like any other addictive behavior. When you have those moments, try to remind yourself of that, that you will only feel even worse after.

Then try to remove yourself from the situation. Find something distracting. Something you like to do, preferably that is good at getting your mind off that behavior. In time, hopefully the urge to SH will subside.

I am not saying it is easy, just saying it is possible to get away from it. Take care. You are not alone. ❤

T

Takingmybrain

I can understand why u may feel this way but my arms are so damaged i will never be able wear anything but long sleeve tops out and in summer its just torture its so hot. I regrete ever going deep enough for needing stitches. Really really regrete it. Please never feel u have to prove your pain by scars. Its not worth it.