• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

i feel ill!

T

TOONAFISH

I hate what im doing to myself. My problem is my thyroid has been removed. so at the moment my metabolic rate is slow. so even tho im restricting how much i eat and what i eat, im not loosing any weight. i have been doing it for 12 weeks now and lost 1lb. i started binging and purging about 6 weeks ago. mayube once a week but now it is more often, twice today. i just hate this. and feel so rubbish, sore throat sore head, feel sick all the time.

i dont know what to do:(

T

TOONAFISH

:( not sure if i should go to docs about this? it is not getting any better. i wouldnt know what to say to the doc. feel really silly about it. he might laugh at me as im hardly a waif . is there anything he can do anyway? hope someone replies x

keepsafe

keepsafe

I don;t think the doctor would laugh at you. Besides your weight you will be doing damage to yourself and I am sure it makes you feel how you have described. Go to see the g.p. and tell them what is going on

KS

S

*Sapphire*

I suffered with anorexia for many years, but when I got better I got into a terrible starvation, binge purge cycle, not eating unless it was a binge then purging it all....

They still allowed me back into treatment for it though as the doctors are aware of the risks of bingeing and purging, they can be life threatening....i've passed out doing this, ended up with terrible gastric problems and abnormal bloods etc.

Bingeing and purging can also deplete your potassium levels, again this can be life threatening as it can mess with your heart and cause a heart attack, I have seen people with terrible effects from doing this...one of my friends tooth crumbled in front of me from the acid erosion and this same friend has been on a potassium drip in hospital many times. She also ended up with her glands swelling right out in her neck because of a potassium build up in them, it was horrendous, she had to have the potassium build up removed.

Underweight or not this is a serious problem, long term it can cause cancer of the oesophogus, you can rupture your stomach, if you stick things down your throat they can become lodged http://www.mirror.co.uk/life-style/...me-from-eating-disorder-hell-115875-21962443/

So many things can go wrong. If you can please let someone you trust know you are going to be sick, even if it is not allowing them to stop you at least they can check on you after ten mins to see that you are still alive. I know it is hard to do this, but if you are intent on doing it then please try to let someone know. I agreed this with my husband in the end, he couldn't stop me, but he could make sure I ws still alive and get help if I needed it. And please get your GP to take regular bloods to check for any potassium or other deficiencies.

And by the way, I have not purged for over a month now after many many years doing so...it is possible to stop :)

Last edited:
T

TOONAFISH

thanks guys. i have the hospital on thursday at the endo clinic. im hoping to get my meds put up as im still underactive thyroid.

i have been good since last week. nearly fell off the wagon today but so far so good. im gonna speak to the hospital and tell them ive had a bit of a relapse and explain why. i know if i could get some weight off i would be able to control it better or is that wishful thinking.

my throat is really sore still and must be all scratched. i am so dissapointed in myself.

staying positive for hosp on thur.

thanks for your advice