• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

i feel embarrassed and awkward

K

karl7

i used to work in a charity shop back in 2013/14.....i enjoyed the work but then towards the end of my time there another colleague got the impression that i nicked 20 euro from the till, but i did not, i swear on the Holy Bible on that.....anyway she believed definitely that i did it....i tried explaining my self but i further made myself look more guilty as i told her that voices in my head were controlling me and the voices told me to donate 20 euro in to the till not steal it.....anyway so i put 20 in the till but tried to explain it was my voices telling me to do it......but she believed i stole it....i had to leave that job......i later heard that it was the gossip going round in that particular charity shop that i was a thief

it hurt me that this was the case, they would nt believe me.....and now just the other day i saw this woman about town.....this is holding me back from doing other voluntary work

what can i do.....i tried to explain myself and pleaded my innocence but they still believe i stole the money

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

My manager at the charity shop I worked at, accused me of stealing a few times. I never did of course. I think it is probably a common thing.

EdEd

EdEd

Wait , wait , wait.. a voice told you to take 20 dollars and donate it from the register? I'm not familiar with this lingo.. or you put 20 dollars in the register because your voices told you to?

K

karl7

@EdEd.....whats i said was the voices told me to donate 20 euro of my own money into the charity shops cashregister.......i did it, but the other staff memeber got the impression that i stole it, which i didnt.....i tried to explain it to her but she didnt believe me....and when i tried to explain it was the voices telling me to do it, this actually did me no favours as she didnt understand schizpohrenia at all, and me pleading my innocence just made me appear guilty

OCDguy

OCDguy

Did they take readings from the till. As I understand it even the early tills would give readings...

Ghost_Owl

Ghost_Owl

Well don't let the bad experiences define you. There are always people out there who insinuate things without proof. What matters is that you know what your own integrity consists of. Honestly though I wouldn't talk about mental health with people in a work environment. They are natural rumour mills and on top of that portrayal of the mentally ill in common media is pretty negative. So unless you truly trust your colleagues its not a wise move. As stereotypes are rife. It also opens you up to being bullied or becoming the fall guy or the person whispered about. Not worth it; hard enough living with ourselves as it is. Again what is important is your own integrity, not others views of it. It is a shame you can't prove them wrong but sadly life is not fair and you have to move on and go back to focusing on your own wants. So it may be better to view it like a negative outcome but its not fated you will have another. Don't deprive yourself of potential positive experiences because of the negative ones that preceded it. That is no way to live.