• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

i feel ashamed of taking my medication to stop my panic attacks

T

tom122727

im getting panic attacks for when i think about my past and that i think up until now of how lonely i am and how i wont ever get to meet a girlfriend i feel as if it will never happen to me i take lexapro 20mg and i just feel like maybe im going crazy or maybe i should just stop living im sick of feeling lonely

B

Black Despondency

I would be ashamed of my self if I didn't take my five medications. Have you been seeing a therapist? If you have suicidal intent or start planning call a crisis hotline or anyone you can talk to. Don't be ashamed of treating your illness it's as real as any other. :grouphug:

am31901

am31901

there’s no reason to feel ashamed; you’re just doing something that helps you function more efficiently and that’s perfectly okay. you have to put your health first. you are not crazy. please continue living- there’s a lot to see, a lot to do, a lot of people to meet. you will not feel this way forever. promise.

LizBo

LizBo

im getting panic attacks for when i think about my past and that i think up until now of how lonely i am and how i wont ever get to meet a girlfriend i feel as if it will never happen to me i take lexapro 20mg and i just feel like maybe im going crazy or maybe i should just stop living im sick of feeling lonely
I certainly understand as I've also gone through a lengthy period of complex panic disorder. What turned things around? PRN Alprazolam (Xanax) and recently, Lorazepam, a more accepted anti-anxiety medication as Xanax has a bad reputation.

Lexapro is an antidepressant so only addresses symptoms of depression and for some, their anxiety. (It didn't for me) So if it hasn't had good effect by now, you probably need to speak with your GP.

The truth of the matter is your brain is sick...physically sick.

Treating it with rest, medication and counselling as part of a treatment plan is a normal process. What you're feeling is very normal considering what you've been through!

Unfortunately, there's still stigma attached to depression/anxiety, but it's getting more accepted as people open up. When we're sick we need to be a bit more selfish about our recovery whether it's a broken leg or broken brain. It's the same...just different treatments.

People can be so hard on themselves. I was, you are and plenty will attest to it. Feeling shame will only prolong your suffering.

Please consider being a bit more kind to yourself because it's a marathon, not a sprint. Look after you! You're worth it!

B

Black Despondency

I certainly understand as I've also gone through a lengthy period of complex panic disorder. What turned things around? PRN Alprazolam (Xanax) and recently, Lorazepam, a more accepted anti-anxiety medication as Xanax has a bad reputation.

Lexapro is an antidepressant so only addresses symptoms of depression and for some, their anxiety. (It didn't for me) So if it hasn't had good effect by now, you probably need to speak with your GP.

The truth of the matter is your brain is sick...physically sick.

Treating it with rest, medication and counselling as part of a treatment plan is a normal process. What you're feeling is very normal considering what you've been through!

Unfortunately, there's still stigma attached to depression/anxiety, but it's getting more accepted as people open up. When we're sick we need to be a bit more selfish about our recovery whether it's a broken leg or broken brain. It's the same...just different treatments.

People can be so hard on themselves. I was, you are and plenty will attest to it. Feeling shame will only prolong your suffering.

Please consider being a bit more kind to yourself because it's a marathon, not a sprint. Look after you! You're worth it!
Benzodiazepines should be one of the last lines of treatment for anxiety, I would suggest trying pregabalin as a last step before benzodiazepines.

LizBo

LizBo

Benzodiazepines should be one of the last lines of treatment for anxiety, I would suggest trying pregabalin as a last step before benzodiazepines.
Pregabalin is an anti-seizure and pain medication and is usually prescribed by neurologists. I have no idea why you would suggest it. Benzo's are credible and widely used for anxiety/panic by psychiatrists and GP's. They provide relief from severe symptoms which promote better quality sleep and gives the brain a rest.

In my opinion, one sentence about a very powerful pain medication could be interpreted as negligent. Please consider readers when you give information. People suffering panic will try anything to ease their symptoms.

Respectfully;
Liz

LizBo

LizBo

Hi again @tom122727

Feelings of isolation and an unknown future can plague sufferers of anxiety/panic as a damaged brain doesn't process information as it should.

The brain can't distinguish between reality, memories and fearful thoughts while it's sick, so it goes into fight/flight mode automatically which causes symptoms to increase.

I do understand how hopeless things feel atm because I've been there, but I'm now recovered so please be assured; "this too shall pass". This phrase was my mantra whenever panic set in. As I said it to myself I took slow, deep breaths and sat quietly being aware of my physical surroundings, waiting for it to pass. It's a way to trick the brain into thinking there's no danger to respond to.

Believe me, there is someone out there for you, just not now. Taking care of yourself until you're better should be your priority ok. (in my opinion) Think of it as if you were caring for a loved one; you'd bend over backwards to support them yeah. Please approach your own recovery the same.

A good practice is to learn to catch yourself becoming hopeless and suicidal. Use the technique (above) and call someone for support until it subsides. Lifeline 131114 was and still is my main support. They're a valuable resource for sufferers because consultants are well experienced and professional.

I'm here for you ok. I'm in NSW so I'm close as time difference goes.

Take care;
Liz

B

Black Despondency

Pregabalin is an anti-seizure and pain medication and is usually prescribed by neurologists. I have no idea why you would suggest it. Benzo's are credible and widely used for anxiety/panic by psychiatrists and GP's. They provide relief from severe symptoms which promote better quality sleep and gives the brain a rest.

In my opinion, one sentence about a very powerful pain medication could be interpreted as negligent. Please consider readers when you give information. People suffering panic will try anything to ease their symptoms.

Respectfully;
Liz
Pregabalin is commonly prescribed off label for anxiety. Drug class has very little to do with what a medication can be used for. Pregabalin doesn't cause tolerance buildup like benzodiazepines. Pregabalin is also a class 5 medication with a lower chance of abuse and has only shown addiction when abused. Benzodiazepines are class 4 substances and more addictive, they are not ment to be used for longterm treatment.

B

Black Despondency

You pushed one of my buttons. Hahaha <3​
I'm not a professional of any sorts, but I research things like pharmaceuticals and various other things in depth. I usually start with

1. wikipedia
  2. Patient prescription information
  3. Doctor prescribing information
  4. Studies of the specific medication
  5. Broad studies comparing many other medications
  6. Look for nuances of each study
  7. Check the quality each study
  8. Look for efficacy vs tolerability
  9. Compare other similar studies that don't include the medication to ones with it
  10. Look for the validity of each study
  11. Read some patient reviews and looking for useful ones
I have been try to fix my self and help others through my experiences and research. I try not to give important blind advice without an exclamation that it's not my strong suit. I'm not perfect I can only help so mutch, a lot of post and topics trigger my emotions because care.

Quetiapine is an atypical antipsychotic
Quentiapine can be prescribed for these problems and more.
  • Intermittent Explosive Disorder
  • Tourette's Syndrome
  • Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
  • Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
  • Insomnia
  • Borderline Personality Disorder
  • Generalized Anxiety Disorder
  • Paranoid Disorder
  • Bipolar Disorder
  • Schizophrenia
  • Depression
  • Schizoaffective Disorder
  • Major depression
Thank you for your concern. 🙂

LizBo

LizBo

I understand @Black Despondency

Thankyou for your controlled reply. :peace: 😉

I don't condone long term use of Benzo's either, but that's up to people's treatment plan and their doctors? I know of someone who uses one to sleep every night and has done so for many years with the go-ahead from his psychiatrist.

I still get the odd script after mine run out of date so my GP knows I don't abuse them. Yes, they a are highly abused drug group, but for many people they're life savers; I'm one of them. As a PRN they're amazing with little to no side effects, unlike Pregabalin which has some difficult ones. I suggested @tom122727 speak with his doctor before making a decision for these reasons.

I work as a Mental Health Peer Worker in the adult acute ward of a psych hospital. Lorazepam (one of many in the same group) is commonly prescribed. Treating someone in the throws of acute (anxiety/panic) symptoms doesn't mean they're psychotic or manic, it's about getting them well enough to reduce or cease their doses, to identify if further investigation is required. Diagnosis and treatment is a process.

When I was admitted years ago I was only given my AD with a low dose PRN Lorazepam for sleep. Even though I was a basket case, the help I really needed was with my beliefs, behaviour and a good rest with supervision. Everyone's different.

It's great you research med's and their uses, but it can become sort of an habitual pastime. Information you gather isn't specifically for one person, it's generically written with everyone and everything in mind.

I know you care and respect others. I'm here for you too ok. :hug:

Take care;
Liz

B

Black Despondency

@LizBo Benzodiazepines get prescribed for long term daily use too often in United States where I'm from, after chronic use it is can be very difficult to replace them with another medication. Benzodiazepines are known to potential stop psychological healing, if prescribed near the time of a traumatic event they can prevent normal processing of the event and cause chronic psychological problems. I have a friend that got in a car accident that was traumatic to him. If someone prescribed him benzodiazepines for a couple of weeks before the trauma was possessed, it could have turned into a chronic mental health issues that would be potentially very hard to fix. I'm currently on a very slow tolerance buildup of clonazepam that my last psychiatrist prescribed me long term. My current psychiatrist refuses to try and change it to another medication for a few reasons. It took me around five years to have to increase the dosag, changing my medications can make me acutely suicidal, in his several decades of experience he has found after chronic use of benzodiazepines changing to another medication type typically isn't effective. My anxiety is very bad and can easily turn into fight, flight, or freeze, if I'm to freaked out I can be very dangerous to others from potentially rapid fight reactions. Stabilizing me again could take years.

LizBo

LizBo

I'm really grateful you've disclosed some personal info as it gives me a better perspective of where you're coming from, so thanks @Black Despondency.

When you mentioned you're in the US, the penny dropped as I've heard some horror stories about Xanax being overprescribed without proper investigation or monitoring.

I'm sorry some of your trauma responses are so severe. Clonazepam is a heavy duty Benzo. You're brave to use it, there are dangerous side effects as interactions with other chemicals can cause extreme negative responses. I'm glad you've found something that works for you though. :)

Talking about medication use is important especially self regulation. I think that's what this discussion comes down to really. Also, a mindset focused on recovery and maintenance goes a long way and complements qualities of patience, bravery and commitment.

I admire your level of concern and care for others BD, it's refreshing to know there's people like us 'out there' doing what we can to support sufferers on their journeys.

Many thanks;
Liz

T

tom122727

I don’t know I do not feel loved people hurt me emotionally . I don’t know how to deal with it, it’s so hard

B

BinduGA

As someone who was diagnosed with panic disorder and nocturnal panic 20 years ago I have been on a few different meds. I was on and took regularly paxil and klonopin to sleep. I took both for 8 years seeing a psychiatrist once a month. I am fortunate that I am not an addictive personality and weaned myself off of regular use of the klonopin only taking it if I'm extremely stressed. Both these meds were a lifesaver for me albeit they together they made me very tired. For nocturnal panic I need something fast acting and have xanax for that, if i didn't the nocturnal panic would send me to the emergency room. Now at this point i take a small dose of lexapro everyday, the benzo are on hand only if I need them and i no longer see the psychiatrist. I see a mental health nurse practitioner who sits and talks with me for a half hour instead of just handing me a prescription. Everyone's chemical makeup is different. What works for one may be disastrous for another. What also helps me is yoga and Vedanta meditation. It helps me keep perspective so I dont buy into my emotions. An object, possessions or people cannot be the foundation of my happiness. I work on peace and contentment. For me, happiness comes out of that. And I wish it for everyone here.