I dont want to commit suicide... But I do want to die. Is this normal??

K

Kb09

So I've never been aware of having any mental health issues. About 10 years back I use to occasionally self harm but not because I wanted to die, it was just as a way of detracting from my internal pain. I would never consider doing anything like that now... But for the last 3 or 4 months I've felt like I want to die. Not that I want to kill myself, just that I'd rather not be alive and been feeling particularly unhappy (I often burst into tears at random) and I just wondered if this is a perfectly normal thing to think and everyone has these feelings or that maybe it's the start of a mental health problem? Would be great to get some advice!

Last edited by a moderator:
midnightphoenix

midnightphoenix

It could be depression, have you seen the doctor? The doctor is the only one who can tell you for sure if you have a mental illness :hug:

G

Girl interupted

It comes from burying your feelings and not dealing with them in therapy. I totally understand the suicidal feelings, but not actively wanting to do it.

Our bodies can only repress things for so long before they start to leak out. If you are not currently in therapy, I would recommend going, so you can address the issue, talk it out, let it go, and start to feel better again.

Matthew 666

Matthew 666

So I've never been aware of having any mental health issues. About 10 years back I use to occasionally self harm but not because I wanted to die, it was just as a way of detracting from my internal pain. I would never consider doing anything like that now... But for the last 3 or 4 months I've felt like I want to die. Not that I want to kill myself, just that I'd rather not be alive and been feeling particularly unhappy (I often burst into tears at random) and I just wondered if this is a perfectly normal thing to think and everyone has these feelings or that maybe it's the start of a mental health problem? Would be great to get some advice!

H

Helen1960

Hi

Yes these thoughts are perfectly normal. I would say though that they are a symptom of depression, as is bursting into tears. I agree with the poster who suggested a doctor.

I have chronic anxiety. I go in and out of episodes. Whenever I am ill i want to die I don't want to kill myself. I don't want to live with my illness anymore.

Best wishes

A

angels egg

It would be best to see a doctor. This is very serious. To me it sounds like depression. I hope you feel better soon.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I think I understand what your trying to say. Your obviously in a lot of turmoil emotionally and SH is a way of release fo this for you but it doesn’t mean you want to die. What I think is you want to escape the situation your in. You just want all the pain to go away. That’s understandable . But death is not the answer

You do need to seek medical advice and if you can’t tell the doctor your problems, write a short letter and let him read it.

Daf:hug::hug:

megirl

megirl

Sounds like you are severely depressed. Yes in the past I have wanted to be dead but not wanting to kill myself.
I just want 'time out' if I could be excused from life's commitments for a short time that would help.
What I needed was to deal with this depression, get depression free then start getting my life on track,

K

Kb09

Thanks everyone for your help/thoughts.

I think it was just a bad few days and actually feel so much better now. I think just writing it out even helped.

When I'm feeling a little low again I will make sure to pay a visit to my doctor but thanks all for the advice, its hugely appreciated!

Had a little life wobble, and the strange thing is thay the next day I got two massive pieces of exciting news!

K.

midnightphoenix

midnightphoenix

Thanks everyone for your help/thoughts.

I think it was just a bad few days and actually feel so much better now. I think just writing it out even helped.

When I'm feeling a little low again I will make sure to pay a visit to my doctor but thanks all for the advice, its hugely appreciated!

Had a little life wobble, and the strange thing is thay the next day I got two massive pieces of exciting news!

K.
do you want to share your exciting news? :hug:

G

Girl interupted

K.

See? This is what I tell myself every time I go into the dark pit. That it’s temporary. That things will find a way to rebalance again. I’m pleased for you.

If it returns, you can always come here again, but while you are on an up, you should take that momentum and invest in yourself with therapy. So that you have more up days than down.

elliepaige20

elliepaige20

I've definitely had similar thoughts before, most recently while I was away with friends. I was alone in the toilet for a while just wishing for death, though I didn't really want to commit suicide. I think it's important to never make any rash decisions in a moment of real sadness as this may be something you regret later on. It's important to rise above those feelings and deal with them in a healthy way. Speaking to my therapist has definitely helped me recently and I'm grateful that I have such understanding friends. I hope this helps in some way x

Skynet

Skynet

For many years, I wanted to die as well. While I didn't have the guts to kill myself, I would intensely hope to be diagnosed with cancer or a brain tumor. It was definitely a symptom of my depression. Things have substantially improved now mainly due to a better psychiatrist and practicing mindfulness meditation.

If you have similar feelings at the moment, a good psychiatrist ought to treat you for depression. Please don't deceive yourself into thinking that everyone has a death wish; this is merely a symptom of your depression now. I'd suggest trying antipdepressants and meditation. Also have faith that things will improve for you as they have for me. Good luck.