• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

I don't want a job, but it's what people have to do.

• Thread starter Sapphirepenguin9900
  • Start date
S

Sapphirepenguin9900

I have never had job since leaving college 1.5 years ago. Apart from some part time fulfillment for a week last year. The thing is I don't even want a job but that's life, I need money. I don't want to work 9-5 everyday, It sounds exhausting. I get tired just getting up some days. There is no jobs that look enjoyable either, they all sound horrible. I'll hate whatever I find.

My family hate me for not having a job, they keep telling me "get any job". I don't want to work in retail. I'm smart, have 8 GCSEs and a university degree. I have social anxiety too though, its better now but makes things hard. I'm just tired all the time and I can't sleep if I know I have to get up early. My family keep saying "once you have a job you will be so tired you will sleep" but no I won't I'm tired now and I don't sleep. If I'm anxious about sleeping then I just won't sleep no matter how exhausted I am.

I'm getting help from a local charity for people with disabilities and mental health issues. They get to know you and help you find a job that suits you. The waiting list is 5 months though and I'm still 2 months away for getting appointed someone. I go every two weeks at the moment to a club where they help me with my CV and I do online courses to add to it. It's still not good enough for my family though they say its taking too long, and I should just find a job myself. I get £80 a week in benefit so I have money to contribute but my family don't want any. Just feel like I have hit a dead end in life and I won't be capable of working.

jajingna

jajingna

Hi, I can relate a bit. I'd like to work but haven't in years. Used to teach overseas, would like to go back to that to get on my own again. I'm getting old too. Have social anxiety issues as well that can causes problems. Like, you're supposed to be communicative at most jobs, seems that extroverted people have some advantage there. Even just "hey how's it going" and regular small talk can help you along even if you gotta force it sometimes. I'm probably better one-on-one talking. But yeah, a lot of jobs do suck, service industry, retail, or whatever, dealing with customers or crappy bosses, can be high stress too for low wages.

S

Sapphirepenguin9900

Hi, I can relate a bit. I'd like to work but haven't in years. Used to teach overseas, would like to go back to that to get on my own again. I'm getting old too. Have social anxiety issues as well that can causes problems. Like, you're supposed to be communicative at most jobs, seems that extroverted people have some advantage there. Even just "hey how's it going" and regular small talk can help you along even if you gotta force it sometimes. I'm probably better one-on-one talking. But yeah, a lot of jobs do suck, service industry, retail, or whatever, dealing with customers or crappy bosses, can be high stress too for low wages.
That's the problem, most jobs around here are either retail or office jobs. Retail sounds too socially demanding and I can't imagine coping with sitting in an office 9-5 everyday, it sounds like torture.

J

JeanPierre

Most importantly you will establish connections for better jobs, positions.
That has been my experience anyway. Hope it helps. Big hug.

Opalescence

Opalescence

I can so relate to this!

I'm just tired all the time and I can't sleep if I know I have to get up early.
This! Even if it's something nice I'm doing the next day I will still have a bad night.

I've given up on getting a job after 17 years of unemployment and volunteer work. I can't even do the latter, not even when I don't have to get up early. I don't like anything either.
It's hard. When you're still young, even harder I imagine. The pressure from family is horrible.
I'm sorry you're dealing with this.
I hope the local charity workers can help you to find something you like. Maybe do a test to see if there's any employment that you like?

S

Sapphirepenguin9900

I can so relate to this!

This! Even if it's something nice I'm doing the next day I will still have a bad night.

I've given up on getting a job after 17 years of unemployment and volunteer work. I can't even do the latter, not even when I don't have to get up early. I don't like anything either.
It's hard. When you're still young, even harder I imagine. The pressure from family is horrible.
I'm sorry you're dealing with this.
I hope the local charity workers can help you to find something you like. Maybe do a test to see if there's any employment that you like?
yeah they have test but a lot of the things that come up as something I would like aren't jobs in my area lol.

Opalescence

Opalescence

I get it. I took such a test and the man who did the test with me was very surprised that there was nothing I liked. He said, "I can't help you find a job if there's nothing you like. You'll just get depressed again." Honestly, I got depressed from those test results to begin with.

Z

zula77

I relate to this. I'm only now for the first time in a job where I even feel slightly comfortable, and working from home has been a real relief from the social perspective. There are jobs out there suited for introverted people and you will find one, when the time is right :)

midnightphoenix

midnightphoenix

Some areas are better than others for finding work in, i was lucky where i live now :hug:

(high unemployment area about 3 years before my place of work opened up, allowing some of us long term unemployed to actually get into a job)