• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

I don't understand

TwistersofThoughts

TwistersofThoughts

I don't understand how so many people with Depression can get out of bed in the morning. I literally spend all day in bed(i've gained so much weight). I can and will procrastinate everything until someone does it for me, because the idea of doing it feels like jupiter has landed on top of me crushing me instantly. But you hear all the time about people how are doing their best or even give tips like taking sponge baths if you have low energy and motivation, but even that is too hard for me to imagine doing. I don't understand how people are getting past even the tiniest bits of their symptoms, when i feel like i'm hopeless. Nothing works. I've been Depressed for years. I've tried a lot. Nothing is working.

OmniscientNihilist

OmniscientNihilist

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I don't understand how so many people with Depression can get out of bed in the morning. I literally spend all day in bed(i've gained so much weight). I can and will procrastinate everything until someone does it for me, because the idea of doing it feels like jupiter has landed on top of me crushing me instantly. But you hear all the time about people how are doing their best or even give tips like taking sponge baths if you have low energy and motivation, but even that is too hard for me to imagine doing. I don't understand how people are getting past even the tiniest bits of their symptoms, when i feel like i'm hopeless. Nothing works. I've been Depressed for years. I've tried a lot. Nothing is working.
doing things with depression can still be possible and enjoyable you just get used to doing things slower. some movement can help you feel better anyway. my depression usually isnt that strong and it doesnt last forever. so i tend to enjoy it. it helps me slow down and feel calmer and feel more emotion.

OmniscientNihilist

OmniscientNihilist

ACCOUNT CLOSED
doing things with depression can still be possible and enjoyable you just get used to doing things slower. some movement can help you feel better anyway. my depression usually isnt that strong and it doesnt last forever. so i tend to enjoy it. it helps me slow down and feel calmer and feel more emotion.

E

EclipticNight

Loads of slowly acquired self discipline gained through in my case anger and hate to fuel it. Just like a fire you need fuel to keep it going, a spark to set it off and oxygen to keep it lit. My anger and hate give me a reason to get up and move. For most people love is theirs, sometimes its greed. Find a strong emotion and use it to push yourself to take one step, every step after is easier until the next day.

J

Jrchmn

I set things up to happen when I do have the energy/ motivation. I have alarms set that I can’t turn off from my bed, smart devices that turn on lights heating etc and friends and family who will phone until they get an answer. Every so often I talk through my morning routine with someone and see how I can improve it.

M

MYTIMEHASCOME

hello twister of thoughts 🤗 I can’t say I feel exactly as you do because I wouldn’t dream of imagining how much you suffer with depression but a lot of what you said resonates with me I guess for me I don’t want people to worry about me so I hide how I truly feel so that others won’t feel bad or worry. I guess I kinda compartmentalise in that sense because If someone else is feeling sad I’ll put them first instinctively and my mind will just put how I feel to one side. I also kind of dissacociate so I don’t have to feel every day things it dosentalways work, I know your probably looking for answers and I know my reply or what I’m about to say now won’t help but I’m sorry you feel rubbish, I’m sorry the world is such a hard place. I wish I could say a specific date for when you’ll feel better but I don’t know when that is what I do know though is your not alone and I know other people who suffered depression and came through it and actually are very happy now!

Sorry if my answer wasn’t helpful I just related to your post and I felt like what you were saying reasonates with me (hug) X

T

treasurebox

Listen to uplifting and encouraging songs on youtube because music is therapeutic and it helps.

D

Deleted member 97623

There are some misconceptions that everyone who's depressed should more or less feel the same, but depression is different for everyone. Your depression is dependant on different factors; your unique body chemistry, your ability to regulate emotions, past traumas, diets etc -- its very easy to compare it with someone else's, but it's best to find out what works, solely for you.

S

sallimae76

I feel the same as you, struggling. I JUST WANT TO GIVE UP!

M

Mistral

I have found just doing simple activities helps me to get out of a rut. Call it occupational therapy if you want. Being active for the sake gets you moving. It gets the brain thinking about the activity and when that happens it will gradually motivate you to think about other things.

K

karl7

@TwistersofThoughts .... i know how difficult depression can be, ive been through it big time.....the only advice i give you is to take it as easy as possible, nurse yourself better, watch tv, relax and post here on the forum....depression does and will pass, it just takes time....i know i would have wanted to know that when i was unwell.....we here on the forum are looking out for you