• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

I don't think it's good news on the PIP front

D

davidbowie1996

Hey guys.

Posted here a few times before, so sorry if you're getting sick of seeing me!

In a previous threat I mentioned I had been to an assessment for PIP that didn't last long. The doctor almost seemed confident I'd get it, and honestly I was pretty confident too because I'd sent in tonnes of medical records about my hospital admissions in the past year.

Anyway, I got a phone call today from an assessor, claiming they were making their decision on my claim and had a few questions to ask me.

She asked about a hospital admission I had in January. I told her I had never gone to the hospital because I had been too scared to leave the house. I knew that it was in my medical records, however that I had been referred. Basically, I told a doctor I'd tried to overdose and she sent me to the hospital but I went home as I was terrified of going back for more blood tests and dealing with new people. Luckily I was fine. I know it was a stupid decision to not get checked out but I was frightened. I didn't want to meet anyone new at the hospital.

She then asked me if I was on Job Seekers Allowance. This struck me as a red flag because I told the doctor that assessed me that I was NOT on JSA. I was on ESA where I needed to claim a medical certificate from my doctor saying I'm not fit to work once a month. I told the woman on the phone this and she basically said she had nothing else to ask me and said I'd know within 5 days if I've got PIP or not.

I told my mum who has had a lot of dealings with PIP (I have a disabled younger sibling) and she said it just doesn't seem positive in her eyes if they're calling me up and questioning me about details. Surely if they're asking about JSA that means they're presuming I'm fit to work?

I could just be worrying but I just can't see this going well for me. I'm so depressed and anxious, I don't know what to do anymore. I'm shaking even writing this.

Please offer me advice.

C

Cheri94

Hey,

I don't have much to offer .

Just want to bump this so more people see.

Hope everything does go your way . I read your post in the early hours of this morning.

Did you ask when the final decision will be made by any chance ?

Best of luck C ♡

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Staff member
Admin
Hi,
Post as much as you want, you can work and claim PIP. It sounds like the assessor was wanting to check some details.
Please don't lose heart, I hope you get PIP.
You can always appeal if you don't get it.
Good luck and take care

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
this thing you can work and claim pip. yes in theory but been able to work makes it more likely your pip will be turned down, as disabled organisations say don't put your head above the parapet

S

Slyorbital

Former member
Well to me she asked if you were on Job seeker's allowance when you were taken ill and referred to hospital,she wanted to clarify if you were on work or unemployed I think,if you are only just ill and just stopped work or not and already claiming JSA.They take everyone's individual circumstances into account,and they need to know.It doesn't seem to be an indication you aren't going to get PIP to me anyway.I've had DWP ring me to clarify info without it affecting my benefits.I hope that helps.

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Per Ardua Ad Astra

The only thing you can do, is wait to receive a decision, then act from there :)

If you are turned down - or receive less in PIP than you feel you ought to - slap in a request for a Mandatory Reconsideration straight away. If the retuned decision is the same, then launch the Appeals process. If you have to take it all the way to a Tribunal, then do so.

I know you're scared about going to new places and seeing new people, and avoided blood tests and the hospital etc. If you go to the Tribunal, let the Judge there see how you are. It ought properly to shame the DWP, it's contracted-out assessors, and indeed, the Government its very self.

There is some evidence to suggest, that perhaps claims are being denied, or awarded at too low a level of benefit rate, in order to save money for political and economic ends. Many PIP claims are awarded or changed at MR level, and certainly by the Tribunal system.

Stand up to your full height, stay strong and determined, rally as much help and support you can from those around you who care about you, and knock any defective (and arguably, criminal) decision on your PIP the fuck down:)

Last edited: