• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

I don't know who i am

BlackSheep7

BlackSheep7

I - like my mother. My father was good-natured, so was I, but my husband is like a copy of my mother. He finds something to murmur about every day. It may not be as bad to behave as your father, who knows? I consider as a problem the fact that I hated to behave like someone else, I hated to behave and pretend to be self-confident. For this reason, I cannot work with clients to date. So if it's easy for you to get into different roles, it's actually a very good skill that allows you to work anywhere.
I hear ya, I mean the only reason I didn't mention how I'm more like my mother is cause I hate it the most. I strive to be like my dad & despise the softness that has seeped in from her, I love her though & that's that. I wouldn't be who I am today if I didn't have a piece of her in me so oh well.

T

toto

As far as behaving like the characters in the movies ... I repeat, a person as a whole always copies someone, you can analyze what is behind this copying, but in general the decision to be like someone is yours. Another issue is that at the time I saw a boy in psychosis who obviously thought he was something like Superman, he said that everything would be fine because he was coming to power in the country. And although in psychosis, I still saw the character in man. Apparently a ruined kid, my homeland is poor, he dreamed of miracles, in general, sad.

stygianiron222

stygianiron222

y

yeah, me too. When I see myself as my father or his shadow in an argument, i get angrier...
sad
oh that excactly happens to me! when i argue with my sister and find myself acting lie how my dad acts when we argue, it just makes me really ticked off

Prozac1984

Prozac1984

ever since i was nine, i have had constant obssesions with fictional characters. at first i just liked them like most people, but it started getting to the point when i would do reserch on how to act like them. it keeps getting worse and more often. i keep changing my personality, my wardrobe and how i act to be more like the characters I'm obssesed with and now i dont even know what my true personality is. i dont know how to be myself, how to dress like myself, how to act like myself. i keep wanting to be these characters and now i dont know who i am anymore.
I used to do this during childhood / adolescence .. with age I ended up filtering my circle of friends to accommodate who I really am.
After my PD diagnosis I started to research about it and noticed that it is a relatively common behavior among people with PD.

The problem is that if you do this in excess, from an early age, you end up not developing a "true self". The reason for this behavior, I believe, is the fact that when we grew up, we were taught (by parents, friends, society ..) that what we are is somehow wrong, so we need to adapt the behavior to suit the environment we are in.
A side effect of this type of behavior is that you end up fitting any group of people easily, some who have little (or nothing) in common with you.
And now, years later, you don't know which group you really belong to.

Maybe you should start saying NO (activities, comments, parties, and anything that causes you internal discomfort) even if it breaks your friendships.
Over time, your group of friends will decrease until you are left with only those who are comfortable with who you are.
Hope this helps.:)