• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

I don't know who i am

stygianiron222

stygianiron222

ever since i was nine, i have had constant obssesions with fictional characters. at first i just liked them like most people, but it started getting to the point when i would do reserch on how to act like them. it keeps getting worse and more often. i keep changing my personality, my wardrobe and how i act to be more like the characters I'm obssesed with and now i dont even know what my true personality is. i dont know how to be myself, how to dress like myself, how to act like myself. i keep wanting to be these characters and now i dont know who i am anymore.

F

fluffpill

My opinion = don't stress about it. a lot of people follow celebrities or characters. let it happen. the more attention you pay to it the bigger the issue becomes = it's probably leading to anxiety right, which is not good.

Ras

Ras

ever since i was nine, i have had constant obssesions with fictional characters. at first i just liked them like most people, but it started getting to the point when i would do reserch on how to act like them. it keeps getting worse and more often. i keep changing my personality, my wardrobe and how i act to be more like the characters I'm obssesed with and now i dont even know what my true personality is. i dont know how to be myself, how to dress like myself, how to act like myself. i keep wanting to be these characters and now i dont know who i am anymore.
i used to somewhat do that. I would mimic others kind of reactions and personality in social situations. I would just relax if i was you and not stress much over it. Maybe instead of doing what you think others you look up too would do, you do what first instinct comes to you and you keep doing that in a way to ween you off of doing what others do and more so what comes naturally to you and maybe that might help you find yourself

lost555

lost555

I also live in my world, imagine someone who doesn't exist (or someone that I will meet in the future.) I love to think about how they act, how they speak, how they help me while I need it. It's not because I feel alone or something (maybe it is, but I don't think so)
So, I understand how it makes you feel when you think you're a bit different than reality.
But, I enjoy it. I enjoy it so much. I don't want to lose my friends, my souls, or my lives.
I want to talk about this with you if it's okay for you.

stygianiron222

stygianiron222

im so glad you understand, and i think it would be a good idea to talk about it. thank you ❤

lost555

lost555

nderstand, and i think it would be a good idea to
yes... thank you a lot, friend. <3
it would be really great because not everyone thinks about someone who doesn't exist or themselves with different personalities, they might understand and try to help us... It's really good to see it but... different
Can you tell me about it..?

F

FlowerBox

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I did this my whole life too until a few years ago
The key for me was honestly learning to be honest with myself, exploring music, art, my own dreams, finding what I LOVE, realizing all those little things that I love, are part of my "personality", then there are also aspects I can change if I want to, which I am working on nowadays, like how I react to things and my demeanor. Realizing when I chose a character to be, I obviously saw something in the character that I wanted to be, but I didn't know how to tell what exactly I wanted from that preset..or maybe even that I already had it within myself but I didn't know how to channel it without taking the whole character on too...you already exist..you just can't fully see/hear/feel yourself yet..you see/hear/feel yourself through others
But that's just my experience, maybe it's all nonsense :p

BlackSheep7

BlackSheep7

well, ever thought about taking little things from these characters & starting there?

stygianiron222

stygianiron222

❤ thank you guys for helping. Blacksheep, i think this would be a good starting point, thanks. Flowerbox, i dont think its nonsense haha, your advice is really good!

T

toto

I think everyone copies at least their mother or father. So "self" is a relative term. I was also influenced by television and I am of the opinion that it imposes a sick behavior on adolescents.

BlackSheep7

BlackSheep7

I think everyone copies at least their mother or father. So "self" is a relative term. I was also influenced by television and I am of the opinion that it imposes a sick behavior on adolescents.
I get freaked out when I act like my dad, existential crisis type shit.

T

toto

I - like my mother. My father was good-natured, so was I, but my husband is like a copy of my mother. He finds something to murmur about every day. It may not be as bad to behave as your father, who knows? I consider as a problem the fact that I hated to behave like someone else, I hated to behave and pretend to be self-confident. For this reason, I cannot work with clients to date. So if it's easy for you to get into different roles, it's actually a very good skill that allows you to work anywhere.