I don't know what to do

M

mikedrums

About a month and a half ago I lost my job due to incidents incited by my mental illness. Since I've been still looking for a job, but haven't found anything yet and I just feel more worthless every day. I feel like I'm not doing anything with my life and not moving forward. And also because I have more time and don't have to get up insanely early anymore (was getting up at 5 am for my last job) I've been drinking more and I just hate it. Has anyone else ever felt like this and how did you deal with it? I really hate feeling like a worthless loser all the time.

sadpunchingbag

sadpunchingbag

When i left my last job i fell off the planet for 5 years only just recently i got help maybe 55 days ago so my best advise is get help seek groups consider admitting yourself in a psychiatric ward as a informal patient this helped me anyway

M

mikedrums

When i left my last job i fell off the planet for 5 years only just recently i got help maybe 55 days ago so my best advise is get help seek groups consider admitting yourself in a psychiatric ward as a informal patient this helped me anyway
I do get help from my psychiatrist and my therapist, but it's mostly just these little episodes I get where I feel like my whole worth in life is based on having a job or not. Honestly I began to hate my last job so much that it only took me about a day or two to realize I was glad to not be there anymore, but job hunting really sucks and while I'm ok financially for a while because I was smart and saved up money it's hard to find order in your life when you don't have the responsibility of going to work every day.

TaurusLady

TaurusLady

There are organisations who can help you with your wellbeing, in a 'Creative' sense.
Why not get involved in these activities to recognise and appreciate your self-worth?

xx

M

mikedrums

There are organisations who can help you with your wellbeing, in a 'Creative' sense.
Why not get involved in these activities to recognise and appreciate your self-worth?

xx
What kind of organizations or what's an example of one?

J

JCPraha

It might help you to go to Al-Anon meetings. They have meetings everywhere almost every day. You will find people who are experiencing troubles similar to your own, and the twelve step program is very helpful. I know that looking for work is an unpleasant experience, to say the least. The job at least gave you some structure in your life, but you didn't like it, perhaps you can find something more suitable.

Don't equate your own self worth with the type of job you have. It is a bad mistake. Jobs come and jobs go away, that is the nature of things. You are not a worse human being when you have not job that when you had one. It has nothing to do with your self-worth. So many people go into a tailspin when they lose a high paying job and get laid off. Try not to be one of them.

M

mikedrums

It might help you to go to Al-Anon meetings. They have meetings everywhere almost every day. You will find people who are experiencing troubles similar to your own, and the twelve step program is very helpful. I know that looking for work is an unpleasant experience, to say the least. The job at least gave you some structure in your life, but you didn't like it, perhaps you can find something more suitable.

Don't equate your own self worth with the type of job you have. It is a bad mistake. Jobs come and jobs go away, that is the nature of things. You are not a worse human being when you have not job that when you had one. It has nothing to do with your self-worth. So many people go into a tailspin when they lose a high paying job and get laid off. Try not to be one of them.
I've heard of Al-Anon. Yeah I don't like equating my self worth to jobs, but people almost make it a thing. My job wasn't even great, but it was something. One part of me is super glad to be out of that place, but the other part also feels like starting over not by choice really sucks. I just hope I end up with something I'm happier with.

J

JCPraha

Don't concern yourself with what people say. Jobs come and go. A job doesn't make you a better or worse person, it's just a job, some means to make a living, nothing more.

TaurusLady

TaurusLady

What kind of organizations or what's an example of one?
Hi Mike,

The organisations that I have received help and support from in regards to wellbeing activities are 'Creative Support', and 'Birmingham Mind' to name but a few. These are organisations who help mental health sufferers from 'Secondary' care perspective, to become more independent in maintaining and managing their mental health in a creative sense.
They also strive to connect and help individuals relate to employment issues..

As you are in the US, I am hoping that this information will still be of use to you!
My suggestion would be to delve into your Local Authority, and research the Wellbeing Activities that can be available to you..

xx

HauntedWitch

HauntedWitch

and while I'm ok financially for a while because I was smart and saved up money it's hard to find order in your life when you don't have the responsibility of going to work every day.
Do you need to have so much order in your life?

I mean, some people do thrive in a super-structured environment while others are better off with a flexible schedule. If you are the first type, make a schedule for yourself of getting up and going to bed times, what to eat and when to eat it, exercise and household tasks. Then stay with the program! If you are the second type, savor every minute of your time away from that last hateful job doing whatever strikes your fancy.

M

mikedrums

Hi Mike,

The organisations that I have received help and support from in regards to wellbeing activities are 'Creative Support', and 'Birmingham Mind' to name but a few. These are organisations who help mental health sufferers from 'Secondary' care perspective, to become more independent in maintaining and managing their mental health in a creative sense.
They also strive to connect and help individuals relate to employment issues..

As you are in the US, I am hoping that this information will still be of use to you!
My suggestion would be to delve into your Local Authority, and research the Wellbeing Activities that can be available to you..

xx
It at least gives me some ideas of things I can look up and maybe find. I'm sure there has to be something in my area.

M

mikedrums

Do you need to have so much order in your life?

I mean, some people do thrive in a super-structured environment while others are better off with a flexible schedule. If you are the first type, make a schedule for yourself of getting up and going to bed times, what to eat and when to eat it, exercise and household tasks. Then stay with the program! If you are the second type, savor every minute of your time away from that last hateful job doing whatever strikes your fancy.
I'm a little of both. I don't like a militantly structured life, but when I'm not working I don't feel like I'm doing enough. I have a loose plan of what I'm going to do each day and it's helping me, but knowing my money just keeps getting lower is a bad feeling so it's frustrating when I don't have a day where I get a call from something I applied to or any contact from anyone. I definitely still am super happy to be away from my last job though and I'm trying to stay away from applying to anything that gives me the same vibe.

HauntedWitch

HauntedWitch

I'm a little of both. I don't like a militantly structured life, but when I'm not working I don't feel like I'm doing enough. I have a loose plan of what I'm going to do each day and it's helping me, but knowing my money just keeps getting lower is a bad feeling so it's frustrating when I don't have a day where I get a call from something I applied to or any contact from anyone. I definitely still am super happy to be away from my last job though and I'm trying to stay away from applying to anything that gives me the same vibe.
I can relate to all of that, for sure. Currently, I am getting better at focusing on enjoying my time off ...while it lasts!