I don't know what to do

B

Bratty

My adult son, age 41, lives with me. He's been depressed for the last 5 years and unable to work so he relies on me. He will not seek mental health assistance because he's scared. His Grandmother, his father, and his uncle are all bipolar. Only his uncle was diagnosed. I know my son and I'm scared for him. I have tried to get him see a mental health doctor and he gets mad at me. We have talked about it in the past and he knows he needs help and now he says he's crazy. He said he won't take any meds. Currently, his anger management is effecting when he drives and I'm scared. I've seen road aggression recently. I don't know what to do!! I'm becoming so depressed I cannot function at times. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. Should I find a therapist for myself and maybe he will want to go? How do I help him???

burt tomato

burt tomato

All I am going to say is what you have done already.

I guess that is not much help.

Your idea sounds a good one - if that helps.

S

Shining

As I have several family members with mental illness, I've been in therapy for many years. We are influenced by the depression of people we love because we don't know what to do, how to help, until we start to feel down, due to difficulties to find solutions to too many problems. A therapist was essential for me to be sane. I have to deal with mental illness problems on a daily basis, and I became stronger because I have had support. Even if your son doesn't follow you looking for treatment, you will have some help.

Here in the US we can find Naturopathic doctors that treat depression and other mental illnesses. Some years ago I could not find these treatments, and my daughter started, about seven years ago, the conventional psychiatric treatment, which is NOT the solution because it has too many side effects, and the main stream psychiatry is based on the belief that this illness is forever, the symptoms can just be controlled. It is better than no treatment in most cases though.

There are self-help books that help too, but your son may need to use something to work with his biochemistry. Good nutrition also helps, but it is necessary to know how his biochemistry is. We cannot talk about doctors in this forum, but I believe it is OK to talk about books that help. I found the book "Nutrient Power" after I heard a webinar from the International Bipolar Foundation given by the book's author. The Nutrient Therapy or Biochemical Therapy gave me new hope about mental illness. I believe it can heal what the mainstream psychiatry cannot heal. The book is scientific, but we are able to understand it. Besides there are some doctors and laboratory referrals at the end of the book. This treatment has some relation with the orthomolecular medicine. It is made with vitamins, minerals, and other natural elements.

We are using doctors that work with the Nutrient Therapy, and we are feeling it helps. There aren't many doctors trained in this protocol, but our doctors come to the Bay Area twice a year. I wish you find good support for you and your son.

My adult son, age 41, lives with me. He's been depressed for the last 5 years and unable to work so he relies on me. He will not seek mental health assistance because he's scared. His Grandmother, his father, and his uncle are all bipolar. Only his uncle was diagnosed. I know my son and I'm scared for him. I have tried to get him see a mental health doctor and he gets mad at me. We have talked about it in the past and he knows he needs help and now he says he's crazy. He said he won't take any meds. Currently, his anger management is effecting when he drives and I'm scared. I've seen road aggression recently. I don't know what to do!! I'm becoming so depressed I cannot function at times. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. Should I find a therapist for myself and maybe he will want to go? How do I help him???