• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I don't know if I am actually suffering from an eating disorder.

M

maddslg6

Hello everyone. So I would really like to know your opinion, or if you have any advice then I am all ears. I have never had a really good relationship with food, and I have always feel uncomfortable in my body, but I was okay. However, around March this year, I started to feel really really gross about myself, and I started to purge at least twice a week. Then, in May, I noticed that I had gained weigth and I panicked. Since then, I have been purging at least four times a week, and yeah, I have gotten skinnier, but it is so painful and my whole body aches. I don't know what to do, I starve myself and then I binge eat and it is like an endless circle. What do I do? Am I actually suffering from an eating disorder, o am I just being dramatic? Thanks for reading.

jajingna

jajingna

I don't know much about it, but sounds like you need help.

bpd2020

bpd2020

Hello and welcome to the forum. Binging and purging are signs of an eating disorder. I would try to get help now as the longer it is left, the harder it is to address. Please do not worry as there is support and help available. I would talk to your doctor about having treatment at an eating disorder clinic. They will be able to diagnose if you have an eating disorder and then provide treatment.

M

Mary26

Can't diagnose you but I can tell you that eating disorders are like quick sand, they suck you right in and the longer you're in it the harder it is to get out. I can also tell you based on what I've seen that purging is one of the hardest habits to break. So I think it's great that you're addressing this now and asking the right questions.

A

Azien

Eating disorders like Bulimia are ones where it is not only the purging but a poor relationship with food, over exercising and the mental state around food

it is regular for someone with an eating disorder to feel ill after eating or generally not feel great about food. Starving an binging then purging sounds most like Bulimia, but the best place to go is either a Doctor or a charity like BEAT whom help with eating disorders. They are where you can go for the most support, forums like this is filled with fellow sufferers and we can listen but eating disorders take a lot of work to get better.

Don’t feel pressured to go to someone asap, do it when you are comfortable as long as you aren’t in any danger but go soon.

And general advice: A) recovery takes a long time, there will be ups and downs so focus on the positives! B) talking to people helps, find one person you can trust to speak to as that can help you talk to people like doctors after
C) most importantly, be kind to yourself (and if that is hard come here and we will be kind to you!)