I don't know how to stop

L

lunarblue

I have been self harming on and off since 7th grade and I don't know how to stop. I'll go weeks at a time without SH but recently it just pulls at me. My leg hurts all the time because of it and my friends have noticed me flinching. I usually use my arm but it makes working out with friends awkward so I had to find someplace else.
I don't know what's wrong with me. My best friend says I just need to stop because I'm being selfish and i see where she's coming from but I just don't know how to stop and the more I get frustrated the more I want to SH and it just goes in a vicious cycle. I'm just really lost right now.

Foxjo

Foxjo

Forum Safety Team
Forum Guide
Hi and welcome to the forum! :welcome:
Self harm is not selfish, it can become an addiction (a way of coping) in my opinion and can be hard to break that cycle.

Can you get yourself referred to a therapist that can help you with this? You need to identify why you are self harming and the triggers. Then you need to put other measures in place to keep yourself safe i.e. not being alone if you get triggered, doing something else instead- for me i do cross stitch as it keeps my mind and my hands occupied. Little changes will start to make a difference.

Please keep talking, Hugs
Fox