• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I don't know how to get my friend to stop saying they love me.

• Thread starter dabearwiffdasammich
  • Start date
dabearwiffdasammich

dabearwiffdasammich

I know he means it as friends, and I do say it back sometimes, but he says it to me every fuckin time we talk and I don't know how to ask him to stop. Like he's one of my best friends but good christ please stop. It's excessive and while I can express how much he means to me too, I am not a touchy feely person who talks about feelings all the time, and I'm not really intimate with...... anyone. I don't like intimacy. I've basically started not saying it back at all but he will still say it.

bpd2020

bpd2020

Could you send him a message saying ' I really appreciate you love me but please do not say it to me any more as it triggers me for personal reasons'?

dabearwiffdasammich

dabearwiffdasammich

Could you send him a message saying ' I really appreciate you love me but please do not say it to me any more as it triggers me for personal reasons'?
yeah i could say that, but i am definitely nervous about asking him not to say it anymore because i dont want to hurt him

bpd2020

bpd2020

I can understand you do not want to hurt him. You could add that too. Say you do not mean to hurt him. I feel you really need to say something because it is upsetting you.

dabearwiffdasammich

dabearwiffdasammich

I can understand you do not want to hurt him. You could add that too. Say you do not mean to hurt him. I feel you really need to say something because it is upsetting you.
yeah i think you're right. ill try to just be kind about it. thank you