• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I don't know how to accept compliments!

L

Lionheart

Founding Member
Does anyone have any advice on how to reply to compliments from a girl?
I really struggle with it and blush, then usually end up leaving. I get angry with myself for not reacting by being cool and possibly missing an opportunity to meet someone. e.g. A girl at the therapy centre said to come in for a chat, I thought I had an appointment but I diden't because she checked but we have the same interests, but I get really embarassed when a girl talks to me and just can't accept compliments, I never could. :confused:

S

*Sapphire*

Hey I'm not a bloke but I used to have exactly the same problem. I'd brush compliments aside or say things like oh I don't deserve it etc. This would usually end up offending or affecting the self esteem and opinion of the other person or I would end up in a drawn out conversation about why I can't take a compliment which totally took things off the boil!

Now Ive learned (and it took a bit of practice) to reply with a smile and a simple "thank you" (even if I didn't believe it myself). Other phrases like "thank you, that's very kind" or "thank you i'm honoured by your words" or return the compliment by saying "thanks! that really means alot coming from you". Always try to smile whilst doing it. By accepting it you are honouring their opinion, rather than dismissing it.

Choose whatever phrase suits you best, and try it out! It really worked for me!

:)

F

Fruit Loop

Hello,

I have just read this post. Sorry to jump in like this. I find this part most useful,

"Now Ive learned (and it took a bit of practice) to reply with a smile and a simple "thank you" (even if I didn't believe it myself). Other phrases like "thank you, that's very kind" or "thank you i'm honoured by your words" or return the compliment by saying "thanks! that really means alot coming from you". Always try to smile whilst doing it. By accepting it you are honouring their opinion, rather than dismissing it."

This has/will help me a great deal. I too have a problem with accepting compliments. I had never thought for one moment that by me not agreeing I could be dismissing that persons opinion. I know I have a problem with being dismissed. I think it could help resolve a situation or two I have at the moment. I will try to accept in the way explained. Thank you.

L

Lionheart

Founding Member
Thank you

Thank you I will practice saying those things, I don't know what it is but I just get all panicky when a girl shouts something or used to grab me at a concert. Even if someone just talks to me at a friends house or the therapy centre I feel so afraid all of a sudden, I have always felt like this even when I was not afraid to go out. I guess that is one of the reason's I haven't had a a girlfriend yet. Even at college something as simple as a girl flirting with me should of been a guys wish, but I just wanted to get them to stop. :redface:

M

maudikie

Just smile and sa thank you.
You'll get ovrt over the blushing It's all part of,matu(y)ring.

M

mxm

in my opinion;

different kinds of shyness in adults isnt just part of maturity

the suggestion that it is, i find a bit patronising!!

sorry lionheart im not saying you would say that, its just my feeling based on my shyness and im in my thirties

hope you are well anyway lionheart

:)