• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

i dont have schizophrenia but...

G

gmh

ok im posting here because the hearing voices thread it usually quite quiet so here goes:

been to GP last thursday and he said he will refer me to CMHT. fair enough. but im worried this will take a long time. been hearing voices, more recently had visions bla bla bla bla. anyway the point of my post is....

how long have people taken to hear back from them?

when they did hear back and got an appointment did they get any medicatio on the day because im desperate for a quick fix...

and finally doe smedication provide a quick fix or am i being silly in thinking this?

thank you in advance for anybody who might take the time to reply

A

antipsionic

I can't tell you about how long it takes to get a reply gmh as I only got help after going nuts in a train station and being carted off to hospital.

For me medication works and gets rid of most of my symptoms but can have nasty side effects but compared to the paranoia and distressing hallucinations and voices I'm willing to put up with them for now at least.

Sometimes it can take a while to determine which medication works best for a particular individual the fact that different drugs work for different people with the same diagnosis shows me that there's not much science to psychiatry it usually a question of chucking drugs at a problem and seeing which works.

B

Buddha

GP to CMHT

How long it takes, and what happens:

There are 3 categories of appointments that CMHT has:
Urgent, soon, and routine.
Urgent is within 1 week, often few days or same day.
Soon is within 2 weeks, Routine within 6 weeks.

Your GP's letter to CMHT generally indicates which category you are in. CMHT also discuss your GP's letter in their meeting and determine which category you come under. Depending upon that you'll get an appointment within the prescribed time frame for each category.

For your sort of problem you will likely be seen by a psychiatrist and given medications the same day. Your GP could also have given you some medications for the meantime, if he or she had some confident experience in psychiatry.

Most likely medications are from the class of medications called 'antipsychotics'. It sounds to me that you could be given Risperidone, Olanzapine, Quetiapine or another similar one.

These medications work fairly well for hallucinations and paranoia - often within days or weeks.

Hope you feel well soon

Online psychiatrist

G

gmh

both of you im so grateful for your replies.

buddha that was very detailed and I cant thank you enough.

so I guess its just a waiting game, i didnt get an meds from my GP for the meantime he seemed very unsure of what to do with the problem, therefore the reason for the referal I guess.

considering ringing on monday to ask how long I should expect to wait and see if I can get something to help me sleep or make me less anxious.

thanks again

B

Buddha

Speed things up

You are welcome.

It does speed things up, if you phone GP again. In fact, you can phone CMHT directly and ask to speak with the team manager or doctor. If your symptoms are troublesome - they do take it into account and speed things up for you.

S

starfish

budda

are you really a psychiatrist? it would be helpfull here if you are.

G

gmh

starfish youre right it would be although perhaps his/her private messaging inbox would be flooded with messages lol.

buddha has been a great help for me and seems to know his stuff: thanks again

B

Buddha

Yes

Hello, Yes, I have worked as a psychiatrist for a number of years. It is great to find myself here and be able to offer of what ever little I know about.

A

antipsionic

Wow, a Buddhist psychiatrist, well there goes my theory about you being an incarnation of Sidharta Gautama or Maitreya come along to help us (only joking mate). Anyone nice of you to be here and offer everyone a helping hand :).

Star-28

Star-28

hahahahahahahahaha Antipsych that was hilarious!! Incarnation!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHa!! I needed that!! :LOL:

Okay GMH. Here we go.. I have no idea what the CMHT or whatever that is; however, most types of medication take a good four to six weeks to really take effect. You will start to feel better though just knowing that you are on something.

Many of the medications prescribed now are called Atypical antipsychotics. They are supposed to have milder side effects than the older ones. Im sure I speak for everybody in this forum when I say we have tried TONS of different meds before we found what works for us.

For me it is Risperdal. Unfortunately there are still side effects even with the new meds. Mainly things like weight gain decreased sex drive etc.. The scientists still havent figured out how to target or even what exactly to target in the brain that causes all the many forms of psychosis.

Hopefully they will be able to find something to work for you. I take anti psychotic Risperdal (not currently because no insurance and cant afford it) and Prozac for depression, and Klonopin for anxiety. That combination works for me.

Good luck mate!!!

Star-28

Star-28

Also GMH when u start feeling better in a few months DO NOT STOP TAKING YOUR MEDICATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im sure I can once again speak for everyone who thought we were well and stopped our medication only to RELAPSE! Sometimes worse than before.

The reason u feel better is because of the meds :)

good luck :)

A

antipsionic

A CMHT is a Community Mental Health Team here in England Star, I feel for you mate not being able to have meds because you haven't got the money, the NHS here in the UK can be a bit crap sometimes (and a lot crap at others), but at least you get the meds for free. Hope your financial satus improves and you can get the medication you need.

R

rasselas

Hello, Yes, I have worked as a psychiatrist for a number of years. It is great to find myself here and be able to offer of what ever little I know about.
Hello there, Buddha.

Please incarnate in the Discussion area of this forum. Things have been rather quiet there and I'm sure your contribution would be enthusiastically welcomed.

:)

A

antipsionic

I once met someone who told me if I should meet Buddha walking the path I should kill him! (Not that I'm advocating violence to great spiritual teachers, psychiatrists or people in general!).

If he is a shrink and not and not an incarnation of Siddharta (spelled it wrong last time I think!) I'd quite like to see him get into a discussion with Rasselas, it'd be quite interesting to watch (from a safe distance!).

:) (shame there's not an evil grin smiley!).

Last edited:
B

Buddha

Hello there, Buddha.

Please incarnate in the Discussion area of this forum. Things have been rather quiet there and I'm sure your contribution would be enthusiastically welcomed.

:)
You are an incarnate Buddha yourself too. I only know that I am.