• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

I don't feel normal but I'm in no ways underweight

P

puppyoongis

For the past 9 months or so, I embarked on a restrictive diet to lose weight. Throughout this time I lost about weight and I do not feel good. I restricted my calories a lot, nowhere near as bad as some people I have seen, but at the same time I compulsively pushed myself to do hard exercise everyday on top of a full day of school and studying. Needless to say, I'm exhausted...

Luckily, now I'm eating many many more calories but I'm scared I will gain weight when I don't need to because I'm not underweight. I've also stopped all exercise as of yesterday, but I just want to know if I'm making a good choice... I've tried going to the doctor, but they just don't seem to be doing anything quick enough, and I nearly passed out yesterday because I felt very very faint and very hungry. Is this because of my restriction, or an underlying issue? Will the brain fog go away when I eat more...? I just need some support right now because I'm so scared and confused.

Last edited:
H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
How long have you been eating more? If it has been a while then I would go back to see your doctor due to feeling faint. Have they done blood tests?

N

ninnie

The brain fog won't go away instantly as you've been restricting and working out too much for so long. I think you should go see a doctor to have blood tests and your pulse and blood pressure checked to see how your body is doing, even if you start feeling a bit better.

You don't need to be underweight for the damage to start showing. It's good to see if there's something wrong, so it can be effectively seen to, or just make sure that everything is infact alright and your brain and body just need a certain daily average of calories for fuel, which you aren't giving them.

But yeah it's pretty likely you at least have some nutritional deficiancies and that you are in a sort of a "overtraining" state, which is pretty tough on your heart. A doctor is the best person to give you instructions for good recovery. (It doesn't mean gaining all the weight back, don't worry about that)

OCDguy

OCDguy

I'm not a doctor, but I believe weight is very much a question of input vs output. There is also another factor, the body continues to grow until you reach approximately 21. If you are under 21 it is even more important that you are getting the right vitamins, minerals, protein etc. and even more important again if you do a lot of physical exercise. In my opinion it is also important not to over stretch yourself, and keep within your limits, unless you have a medically trained professional telling you other wise. If something is making you ill, it is probably wise to listen to what your body is telling you.

P

puppyoongis

I'm getting a random blood glucose test on Thursday, but I don't know if I will be in the normal range or not... It's not even a fasting test. I have gone to the doctor and am going to get help and counselling, but in quite a long time. I will carry on just eating what my body tells me to and stop exercise. Thanks for your replies :))))) <3

Last edited:
N

ninnie

I'm getting a random blood glucose test on Thursday, but I don't know if I will be in the normal range or not... It's not even a fasting test. I have gone to the doctor and am going to get help and counselling, but in quite a long time. I will carry on just eating what my body tells me to and stop exercise. Thanks for your replies :))))) <3
This is good to hear, even though it's not good that you have to wait. Treat yourself with kindness, I wish you well!

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

puppy

if youre not getting at least 2000 calories a day your body begins to starve.

Brain fog is included in malnutrition. So is weakness and tiredness.

I think you should speak to your doctor about your ED, they are very common and also very treatable.

No one should have to spend their days worrying so much about what they eat. You sound to my inexpert ears as if you may be developing Anorexia, you are showing some of the signs they talk about.

Please get some help, you should be out dating and running around with your friends not fretting over your food. You don't say how old you are, I'm assuming you are young?

Best
BDU

N

ninnie

Yes I think it might be also good to stop and think why you have been doing this to yourself. Seeing that your body is okay is only half of what needs seeing to.

I have some disordered eating myself, but I'm confident it's slowly getting better. Some steps forward, some steps back, and again. It's a complicated, mixed up and confusing issue. Just have to keep trying and have the right help and support, and life will get better.