• Welcome! If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I don't feel like we make enough noise.

S

swillis

Anyone else feel like mental health problems aren't made clear enough and talked about and looked into as much as they should be?

People are having an absolutely abysmal quality of life and not even comfortable in their own minds. I believe I suffer only mild/ moderate mental health problems, but I suffer enough to realise how seriously some people must suffer and can only feel deeply saddened and upset for those that fight a battle every second of their day, have little control or any hope for an improvement in their future.

I just feel that people with mental health problems need to be screaming to the government and talking to the people around them all the time until things change. Medication is not changing peoples lives, lets face it, I know no one who's had a life changing experience from medication, feel free to let me know if you have experienced different. We're only treating and looking into mitigating symptoms and basically ways of keeping people alive and coping with their problems, there are no solutions and it seems that we've hit a kind of plateau with treatment for mental health right now, no immediate solution has been found so scientists have put their hands in the air and said 'oh well' and are now looking into more immediately curable problems.

In my opinion, the single most horrifying and terrible experience must be to not have your own sanity. I cant put into words some of the things I imagine people suffer from, but traumatic experiences and hallucinations, very atypical feelings and more come to mind, my mind sometimes wonders and I imagine what others are suffering from and it scares me Incase I slip into poorer mental health.

Although this isn't the point of the topic, I also feel that the fact the right to ends ones own life is illegal and frowned upon is also disgusting. Imagine being tortured for the entirety of your life and that might be close to how some people feel every day due to their state of mind.

I just feel that what's happening right now isn't good enough and things need to change.

That's where I'm at today anyway.

Does anyone know if there are any protests and street marches for mental health or anything? Might be a start but I still feel we need to put the government at gunpoint and scream to them at how much people are suffering, whilst people live, In my opinion, selfishly ignorant and comfortable in their own lucky lives of genetic and environmental health.

Sorry if this offends anyone, but were in 2020 and seeing the news lately and this year as a whole has me kinda pissed.

jajingna

jajingna

There is room for improvement for sure, in how mental health is treated, and in attitudes towards it. So many people are not getting as much help as they need. So many are quietly tolerating illness and even ashamed of it, perhaps with the attitude that it is personal weakness instead of illness, and therefore personal responsibility. There's a lot of weird attitudes about mental illness, on top of stigmas. And yet these illnesses are so common, I believe, that few families are untouched. Like, everybody has somebody in their immediate family, or at least a relative, who is "odd."

For me personally, medications did make a massive difference in pulling me out of illness, numerous times in my life, so I consider them a necessary thing.

S

swillis

There is room for improvement for sure, in how mental health is treated, and in attitudes towards it. So many people are not getting as much help as they need. So many are quietly tolerating illness and even ashamed of it, perhaps with the attitude that it is personal weakness instead of illness, and therefore personal responsibility. There's a lot of weird attitudes about mental illness, on top of stigmas. And yet these illnesses are so common, I believe, that few families are untouched. Like, everybody has somebody in their immediate family, or at least a relative, who is "odd."

For me personally, medications did make a massive difference in pulling me out of illness, numerous times in my life, so I consider them a necessary thing.
Not for one moment questioning if they are appropriate or necessary. I think medication CAN help, but I feel it's rare for a situation like yours where you've had a life changing or life improving experience.

To add: I think medication can also have other benefits like for me for example, I was very agitated and bordering on violent, and the sedative effects of my medication reduced the likelyhood of me being violent, BUT I didn't feel any better on the medication particularly. This sounds like a bit of a contradiction here. To summarise I feel medication can indirectly help and mitigate problems, as it's intended to, but it doesn't tackle the root cause of the issue.

I've tried lots of meds and not 1 has improved the quality of my life, I've spoken to a handful of people with mental health problems and they're still under treatment. People also relapse regularly with mental health problems. I'm comparing the mental state of someone who is determined to be 'healthy' of mind (whatever that is, we don't know yet) and someone who is unwell of mind. We cant even directly measure if mental health problems are improving how people feel. It's word of mouth. How many people are under treatment and then say there better because of environmental factors, not the medication and that's recorded as a success for medication?
It's ridiculous for mental health practitioners to give meds to people, therapy and changes of circumstances and they say to them, "do you feel better?" when many other things have changed.
Getting attention and recognition for your problem in the first place can make you feel a bit better alone.
I accept we don't know enough about mental health problems, but thats the problem, 'turning the page' on mental health with change so much, for everyone globally, I just don't see why it isn't on the top of the governments list along with global warming, defence, world hunger, social injustice.

D

Deleted member 92692

In my country we still dont rate as seriously ill. The sad truth is the people who decide policy and allocate funds dont see votes in us. Ilness that effects the mass population are easy to allocate funds to since there would be a national uproar if they didnt. Hence why people like my dad were well looked after when cancer came calling. Yet for 40 years his schizophrenia was never really treated properly. Sad indictment of western democracies but thats the world we live in.

N

Nukelavee

I find a lot of people are sympathetic, in the abstract, but many are kinda crap at relating directly to a person with mental health issues.

Like my one sister - An article or movie featuring mental health issues? She cares. Her partner's daughter's anxiety? She cares. Her older brother's issues? That's just me being lazy.

But that's her - since she came out of the closet, she cares about LGBTQ issues... growing up, she was big on throwing homophobic slurs at me. Point that out, and I'm being mean.

N

natalie

For years and years I have wished to have broken the barriers relating to mental health and fort unately, through another set of smaller for ums, and this site, I have been able to achieve that.

One is correct thouigh, mental health should be talked about mcuh more.

Have a good afternoon, all,

Best regards all.

S

swillis

I find a lot of people are sympathetic, in the abstract, but many are kinda crap at relating directly to a person with mental health issues.

Like my one sister - An article or movie featuring mental health issues? She cares. Her partner's daughter's anxiety? She cares. Her older brother's issues? That's just me being lazy.

But that's her - since she came out of the closet, she cares about LGBTQ issues... growing up, she was big on throwing homophobic slurs at me. Point that out, and I'm being mean.
Alot of people are sympathetic, but they don't truly get it or commit themselves to understanding it properly. You get the old, "you'll be okay" "don't worry" or some ridiculous advice like "stop overthinking".

Your sister probably just sees you as an older brother and someone who is accountable in the family. People generally only care about what affects them. If there's no awareness of the problem people wont care about it, hence why alot of people just aren't truly aware of the scope of mental health and how deeply people can be affected.

S

swillis

For years and years I have wished to have broken the barriers relating to mental health and fort unately, through another set of smaller for ums, and this site, I have been able to achieve that.

One is correct thouigh, mental health should be talked about mcuh more.

Have a good afternoon, all,

Best regards all.
I think breaking down the barriers of mental health has nearly been achieved. We can now talk about it largely without being judged or without it being frowned upon.
The next step is to get people to UNDERSTAND, now people are listening, we need to let people know the depth of peoples problems. To explain our conditions and to get an awareness of individual problems so that people support the cause and then further work is done to bring a conclusion to mental health problems, which I believe is possible and I believe eventually mental health problems will be fully treatable to the point where people are asymptomatic and living natural, healthy lives.