• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

i dont believe I have depression

B

ballerina123

Im diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder - bipolar type. part of that illness is depressive episodes.
Ive been sectioned 8 times for depression but I don't believe I have depression.
How do I learn to come to terms with my depression? how do I accept it?
or could the doctors just be wrong and got the wrong idea?
I feel quite confused.

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Have you looked up symptoms of depression and are unable to relate to any of them? or just you don't feel depressed? Sometimes people think depression is feeling sad all the time for instance, but it isn't necessarily.

It's possible they've got it wrong of course. Have you asked them to explain why they decided you are/were depressed, especially depressed enough to warrant sectioning?

B

ballerina123

I might have to ask them. I mean they cant be wrong 8 times right?

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I might have to ask them. I mean they cant be wrong 8 times right?
You'd be surprised....I don't know though. I think sometimes they have made up their minds. But what I think is that people are usually diagnosed/sectioned by how their behaviour is perceived rather than how they feel, so even though you may not feel depressed, a psychiatrist could observe behaviour for example, not eating, sleeping, being unable to take care of self, unmotivated etc and decide the person is depressed.

But yeah I would ask them to explain to you. Even if you don't agree with it at least it will give you some idea of why they are going down that track with you.