• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I don’t know what this is and I’m scared (help!)

J

juju94

Before I say anything I’d like to let everyone know that this is very strange. So basically a family member of mine was taking a shower and while they were taking a shower for some reason I thought about it, just the fact that they were showering nothing else, and then I smiled while thinking it. I can’t help but feel like the smile was meant to be creepy and it definitely came off that way and now I feel awful for it and I’m not sure what to do.. This whole smiling thing has happened to me before and it drives me insane. Sometimes I have literally looked at my reflection to make sure I’m not smiling at stuff like this. I have these mouth twitches from trying to hold back the smiling as well sometimes and I absolutely hate it. Now I’m obsessing over this situation and I feel so so bad. Can anyone help?

JessisMe

JessisMe

That you judge yourself harshly for this behavior tells me that you reject the behavior and it is behavior that you can change. When you have these thoughts make an active effort to think about something different. If you feel them coming on change the channel. You are capable of nipping these problematic thoughts in the bud before you even start with them. Rejecting the thought is most important. That you reject them effortlessly and without trying makes it seem to me that working to eliminate these thoughts or limiting the effects they have on you should not be too difficult for you to manage because the desire not to have them is there.

J

juju94

That you judge yourself harshly for this behavior tells me that you reject the behavior and it is behavior that you can change. When you have these thoughts make an active effort to think about something different. If you feel them coming on change the channel. You are capable of nipping these problematic thoughts in the bud before you even start with them. Rejecting the thought is most important. That you reject them effortlessly and without trying makes it seem to me that working to eliminate these thoughts or limiting the effects they have on you should not be too difficult for you to manage because the desire not to have them is there.
Thank-you so much for your help!

OCDguy

OCDguy

From what you have written (but I am no expert), it sounds like all you did was smile. I guess you have two options, dismiss the analasys of smiling, or look into why it made you smile...