• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I do not feel I have Bipolar at all

P

Pink

Maybe I just don't have enough insight to know my symptoms.
I was on Abilify for 10 years before they took me off it (because I didn't have a psychosis for 10 years).
My psychiatrist decided to put me on an antidepressant and nothing else.
I ended up psychotic again from these meds.
I honestly feel I have schizophrenia (my original dx)

JessisMe

JessisMe

What is the cause of the Bipolar diagnosis?

P

Pink

I landed in hospital after the antidepressant caused my psychosis. I do not remember much from that episode, everything feels like a distant dream, especially my time in hospital. I don't even feel like it happened. I was shouting a lot in hospital (although not sure if that was a dream), I bought a lot of books that I don't read (but maybe that was just me being impulsive), I thought I was marrying some celebrity to save the world or something silly. I tried to run away to another country.

JessisMe

JessisMe

I landed in hospital after the antidepressant caused my psychosis. I do not remember much from that episode, everything feels like a distant dream, especially my time in hospital. I don't even feel like it happened. I was shouting a lot in hospital (although not sure if that was a dream), I bought a lot of books that I don't read (but maybe that was just me being impulsive), I thought I was marrying some celebrity to save the world or something silly. I tried to run away to another country.
All of that sounds like mania and usually if a person experiences mania after being on an anti depressant it’s a big sign that they are bipolar.

P

Pink

Thanks @JessisMe, maybe I am underestimating the severity of the moods. Because I was so out of it, maybe they saw something different.

JessisMe

JessisMe

All of that sounds like mania and usually if a person experiences mania after being on an anti depressant it’s a big sign that they are bipolar.
For example, among other things the last time I was manic I bought a bunch of stuff I did not need and could not afford. I thought I was saving the world with Dr Dre, a famous rapper, by hoarding used clothing. I had plans to send it overseas with Dre and provide clothing to third world countries. I ended up with a storage unit full of essentially other people’s junk that I am still paying on because I haven’t emptied it yet. I had to give away all the stuff I spent my money on because I didn’t need it or it was Christmas presents I bought for a whole bunch if celebrities that I did not know. I ran out of money for postage to get it to them about the time the manic bubble burst. The presents were really cheap and crappy stuff. There’s a lot more to it but I picked out the parts that you might relate to. I am diagnosed bipolar and that is what happened when I did not take my bipolar medication. So as much as possible I take it now. xo, j

O

On Fire

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I used to have a diagnosis of bipolar, now schizophrenia.

O

On Fire

ACCOUNT CLOSED
It does sound like bipolar, but it is not entirely a fair test because you stopped the antipsychotic at the same time as starting an antidepressant? So it could be either one of those things that caused you psychosis.

G

Ginger Kitten

I agree with everyone else, but something else occurred to me: could you have schizoaffective disorder, where you have the symptoms both of bipolar and of schizophrenia? If so, I believe they usually treat that with an antipsychotic. The decision to put you on antidepressants alone was beyond stupid: they are known to cause mania (sometimes including psychosis, though not always) in people with bipolar disorder. That's why psychiatrists normally only prescribe antidepressants in conjunction with a mood stabiliser - otherwise, we're quite likely to go high. I wonder if your pdoc thought you had unipolar depression, rather than bipolar depression? If so, that would explain why he prescribed the antidepressants. Pretty rooky mistake, imo.

I'm not surprised you are questioning your diagnosis, given the fact your diagnosis has changed several times. However, to me, the symptoms you describe sound exactly like mania. We can't diagnose on here, but I would say to trust the diagnosis and perhaps ask your pdoc about schizoaffective disorder. I really don't know, but it might be something to bear in mind - but only a psychiatrist can diagnose your condition. With all good wishes, Ginger Kitten.

U

Underdog21

Maybe I just don't have enough insight to know my symptoms.
I was on Abilify for 10 years before they took me off it (because I didn't have a psychosis for 10 years).
My psychiatrist decided to put me on an antidepressant and nothing else.
I ended up psychotic again from these meds.
I honestly feel I have schizophrenia (my original dx)
No offense, but it sounds like the psychiatrist is a complete dumbass. So you have a diagnosis of bipolar just because you were taking anti-depressants and you experienced psychosis especially when you were not taking any anti-psychotics? I have had a diagnosis of Psychosis NOS for aproximately 3 years and a half after suffering two psychotic epsiodes within the span of 4 years. I believe you should have had the same diagnosis until everything became clearer mood wise. I experienced suicidal thoughts, agitation, racing thoughts, weepy mood right before when I was feeling confident and talking to a lot of women (that's not my personality at all). Even then I was given a working diagnosis(cannot be confirmed or its temporary) of Bipolar Affective. Who is this this psychiatrist that puts these diagnoses?

Wishbone

Wishbone

I've seen too many mentions on here of people being put on antidepressants when they have a diagnosis of Bipolar. It's time we started holding these docs to task for their terrible care and make our complaints so that it doesn't keep happening. People will be dying because if this.

G

Ginger Kitten

I couldn't agree more, Wishbone. It's hard to see how any psychiatrist could prescribe antidepressants to someone with bipolar nowadays - the ill effects are so well known. I wonder if it's when the patient doesn't have a firm diagnosis, or is wrongly diagnosed? This was my case, when both GPs and psychiatrists thought I had depression rather than bipolar disorder. I was lucky in that the antidepressants I was given didn't make me high, but they didn't have any effect on my depression either.
But you're right, Wishbone, dishing out antidepressants to bipolar sufferers could result in loss of life: mania can be as dangerous as depression in that respect.

R

rawlinsc

I am not sure if I have bipolar or ADHD or both. But I am diagnosed with both. I used to spend a lot of money on entertainment but it has lessened because I spend a lot of time texting my love interest. I guess i hyperfocus on things like hobbies but now I am hyperfocused on a relationship. I also think spending recklessly is mania.

G

Gratefultobewell

I agree with everyone who said that the antidepressant meds alone was a big mistake! The psychosis does sound like mania. I don’t know the diagnosis criteria for schizoaffective disorder, but I had that diagnosis for a while before bipolar 2 which I feel is more accurate.

P

Pink

For example, among other things the last time I was manic I bought a bunch of stuff I did not need and could not afford. I thought I was saving the world with Dr Dre, a famous rapper, by hoarding used clothing. I had plans to send it overseas with Dre and provide clothing to third world countries. I ended up with a storage unit full of essentially other people’s junk that I am still paying on because I haven’t emptied it yet. I had to give away all the stuff I spent my money on because I didn’t need it or it was Christmas presents I bought for a whole bunch if celebrities that I did not know. I ran out of money for postage to get it to them about the time the manic bubble burst. The presents were really cheap and crappy stuff. There’s a lot more to it but I picked out the parts that you might relate to. I am diagnosed bipolar and that is what happened when I did not take my bipolar medication. So as much as possible I take it now. xo, j
That does sound almost exactly like what happened to me. I was very delusional though which made me question my diagnosis. I remember feeling like I could telepathically communicate with celebrities online and even bought one a present because it was his birthday coming up! Also I remember thinking people could hear my thoughts which was very uncomfortable.