• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

I disagree with my "mood disorder" diagnosis

Pink

Pink

I had a psychotic episode 11 years back but that was due to stress and a lot going on. At this point, I was diagnosed with undifferentiated sz and then schizoaffective.

Ten years and no psychosis, the psychiatrist decided it was ok to take me off the antipsychotic and put me on a mood stabaliser instead. The mood stabaliser gave me side effects so I had to come off it. I was still struggling with anxiety so they put me on Sertraline alone. I had a really bad psychosis which landed me in hospital after this. The psychiatrist believes it's a mood disorder which I assume means bipolar.

All I remember from it is I was struggling to make sense of what time it was, I spent a lot on books, and I wasn't sleeping properly. I was also very irritable. And thinking people could hear my thoughts. All this happened during psychosis though. I even tried to run away thinking I was getting on a train to America to save the world or something stupid.

Passionflower

Passionflower

What do you think your diagnosis should be ?

Wishbone

Wishbone

A mood disorder doesn't necessarily mean Bipolar, it can be one of the depression only types as well, like MDD, but in your case they likely are referring to Bipolar.

Reacting to antidepressants, spending a lot, irritability, sleep problems, delusions - all indicative of the disorder. That only happened in psychosis? Did you only get to psychosis via the antidepressants and escalating mood, by way of mania though? If it all started with the Sertraline then you likely have your answer already.

Pink

Pink

Thank you for your responces.

@Passionflower I think it should be schizoaffective. I really think there is something more to it.

@Wishbone I was fine for months without an antipsychotic until the introduction of the antidepressant which kicked off the psychosis.

K

keith74

Thank you for your responces.

@Passionflower I think it should be schizoaffective. I really think there is something more to it.

@Wishbone I was fine for months without an antipsychotic until the introduction of the antidepressant which kicked off the psychosis.
If you are bipolar and have psychosis outside of a bipolar mood swing, then schizoaffective would be the right diagnosis. schizoaffective would mean you DO have a mood disorder.

Agree that antidepressants are bad idea for people who can get manic/psychotic. At minimum you need to be on a antipsychotic or mood stabilizer that works against mania (hence not lamotrigine).

JessisMe

JessisMe

I had a psychotic episode 11 years back but that was due to stress and a lot going on. At this point, I was diagnosed with undifferentiated sz and then schizoaffective.

Ten years and no psychosis, the psychiatrist decided it was ok to take me off the antipsychotic and put me on a mood stabaliser instead. The mood stabaliser gave me side effects so I had to come off it. I was still struggling with anxiety so they put me on Sertraline alone. I had a really bad psychosis which landed me in hospital after this. The psychiatrist believes it's a mood disorder which I assume means bipolar.

All I remember from it is I was struggling to make sense of what time it was, I spent a lot on books, and I wasn't sleeping properly. I was also very irritable. And thinking people could hear my thoughts. All this happened during psychosis though. I even tried to run away thinking I was getting on a train to America to save the world or something stupid.
Everything you have described here is consistent with an acute manic episode of someone diagnosed with Bipolar 1. There might be something to your doctor’s thinking after all.

Pink

Pink

I used to say I don't think I have sz, and no one listened to me at that point. I was consistently told it was sz and that the reason why I feel I don't have it is because of denial symptoms of having sz. That was for almost 10 years so now to be told I have something different, it's a lot to take in.

B

Bathfiller

I feel the same. Right now i feel it also, i even thought of going to my doctors and demanding of new diagnosis. That it’s all wrong but then I think that no they are right. It comes and goes the feeling that they are wrong, they are right. Sometimes I feel like a freud. It’s hard to describe it all.

B

Bathfiller

I used to say I don't think I have sz, and no one listened to me at that point. I was consistently told it was sz and that the reason why I feel I don't have it is because of denial symptoms of having sz. That was for almost 10 years so now to be told I have something different, it's a lot to take in.
Wow. That has taken a long time. Hugs to you