I despise summer and it increases my depressive feelings

S

sapphirerain

First of all, it's very reassuring to know I'm not the only one who struggles with increased depressive feelings during summer. I thought something was seriously wrong with me - well, maybe there is. I honestly loathe summer and I don't know why.

I crave cold, wintery days, and I love rain. I simply love when it's grey and cool outside. However, here in Australia, we often experience summer temperatures of 40 degrees celcius or more. It makes me want to die. I hate wearing shorts and t-shirts in public - I'm a slim person but I just don't like having my legs bare. I feel highly uncomfortable wearing bathing suits at pools/beachers, and I'm also a naturally pale person who freckles and burns rather than tans. This makes me pedantic about having sunscreen on. I can never relax and 'enjoy' the sun, because I get so uncomfortable, hot, sweaty, and like I'm burning.

When I wake up to bright blue skies and the sun blaring through the windows, I feel miserable and don't want to do anything. Waking up to cold days, rain, and grey skies is heavenly - I find it calming and so peaceful. I'm more productive during this weather and am in a better mood overall.

Perhaps I was just designed to live in a very cold climate. Does anyone have any opinions or theories as to why the hot weather impacts some of us so negatively? Nearly everyone I know loves summer, and loves the heat, and I can't understand why.

Last edited:
M

M_Therd

Hello. I hope you are OK today.

I feel the same way about summer. I really don't like the long, sunny days. I like it when it goes dark early, when it's cold outside and when it's cloudy or raining.

I think it's much safer. I think the sunlight picks out details about you than the clouds do. People always say I'm wasting my time if I stay inside during the sun, which makes me feel bad about myself, but I hate going out in good weather because when it's hot and sunny that means more people are about and I dislike crowds and being looked at. When it's sunny people congregate in places too, instead of hurrying on like they would if it was raining, and you have to walk past lots of groups of people and try to avoid the looks.

Also, when it's sunny, I can't wrap up, I have to expose more of myself to the world. At least when it's cold I can cover my arms without getting hot, I can wear a woolly hat to cover my hair, I can wear a thick jumper to hide my figure. When it rains, people are too busy running to where they have to go and covering themselves from the rain to be interested in staring at me, which I hate. I like having my hood up as well which looks strange in hot weather.

This is some of the reasons why for me anyway. I find it helpful to wear a cap when it's sunny, so I can cover my head and face and I feel less conspicuous.

I hope you have a lovely day. =)

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

Forum Guide
hi
welcome

this probably sounds really silly and unrealistic ,but have you thought about moving to a country with a colder climate?

sometimes i feel better when the nights get dark early as it makes the day end sooner for me(i have depression and struggle to get through the days)

but then part of me feels better when the days are longer and lighter because the dark weather can make me a little depressed

well i just hope you mange to cope with the weather where you are ,it sounds very difficult to live in a country with such warm long days when you despise them so
lots of love
Fairy Lu x

sunset547544

sunset547544

I don't like sunny weather much either. I live in the UK and couldn't imagine living in Australlia, totally not my kind of climate. I think my genetic makeup is for an ice age, unfortunately I popped out in a world seems to be the opposite end of the scale. A long time in the future when we go back into another ice age people like us will be very happy! One of my long term life goals is to move North where the climate is more suitable for me. Location, location, location as they say I think you should really consider relocating to.

Last edited:
Shadow-one

Shadow-one

Forum Safety Team
Forum Guide
First of all, it's very reassuring to know I'm not the only one who struggles with increased depressive feelings during summer. I thought something was seriously wrong with me - well, maybe there is. I honestly loathe summer and I don't know why.

I crave cold, wintery days, and I love rain. I simply love when it's grey and cool outside. However, here in Australia, we often experience summer temperatures of 40 degrees celcius or more. It makes me want to die. I hate wearing shorts and t-shirts in public - I'm a slim person but I just don't like having my legs bare. I feel highly uncomfortable wearing bathing suits at pools/beachers, and I'm also a naturally pale person who freckles and burns rather than tans. This makes me pedantic about having sunscreen on. I can never relax and 'enjoy' the sun, because I get so uncomfortable, hot, sweaty, and like I'm burning.

When I wake up to bright blue skies and the sun blaring through the windows, I feel miserable and don't want to do anything. Waking up to cold days, rain, and grey skies is heavenly - I find it calming and so peaceful. I'm more productive during this weather and am in a better mood overall.

Perhaps I was just designed to live in a very cold climate. Does anyone have any opinions or theories as to why the hot weather impacts some of us so negatively? Nearly everyone I know loves summer, and loves the heat, and I can't understand why.
I have the answer for you :D

You simply need to move to Ireland :)

It's simply beautiful and we can supply four seasons in just one day - so always something to keep you happy... :)

T

TheHatter

I also live in a hot country and find the summer months very difficult and my mental health is much worse, being hot all the time seems to just push me over the Edge. Also because of the heat i cant sleep well at night which we all know makes depresion worse. It affects my hormones also so im all over the place. I understand you completly

C

Candy19

I'm the exact same, I HATE summer with a passion! My hair gets greasy quicker, being too hot is gross to me, public transport is a nightmare mainly because there's always that one person who clearly hasn't put deodorant on. In the sun I feel like I look disgusting so that hits extreme levels of my anxiety! I'm also completely drained of energy when I'm out in it.

I try to avoid going out during the day when the sun is at its highest, but as I'm a college student that's difficult, summer evenings are the only time I'm comfortable revealing myself, so I try to make plans around that time.

So yeah you definitely aren't alone, I much prefer spring and autumn vibes

Seachad

Seachad

Where I live, in Florida, it gets up around 38°C, in Summer, but with the massive humidity, the heat index gets much, much higher and makes life downright miserable. Even at night, when one steps outdoors, it's as if one's immediately wrapped in warm, wet, felt. And it touches one everywhere, inside one's clothing and out, leaving no ability for sweat to evaporate, and making it not only difficult to breathe, but impossible to get cool, as well.

Wear glasses? Step out of the air conditioned house or other building, and they'll immediately fog up, as the humidity condenses upon the cool lenses and makes it impossible to see.

Winter, here, is delightful, if one hates the cold and the snow Up North. Summer? Isn't for the weak or the timid. It can be brutal. And if you think that our Summers here in Central sound bad...that's what Winter in South Florida is like. Their Summers are something I don't even want to think about....

tiltawhirl

tiltawhirl

Bristol, TN/VA, USA (near mountains and 6 hours fr
The first year in Florida feels lethal stepping outside, then you start to acclimate. Every place is overly air conditioned and every where is near water...either your own pool, or a lake or the bay or ocean beach which is lovely near dusk. and a good method of cooling off during the day, if you wish.
But, yeah, I don't know why outdoor construction and etc type guys don't have heat strokes.
I left because I missed the full 4 seasons. (and got a divorce)
It is also terrible for your skin. It's impossible not to tan somewhat but those people like my sis who lounge around their pool tanning....she is younger than I am but her face is wrinkled like a prune now. I only have deep laugh lines. If I cared that much or had money to throw away I could get those fixed with botox.
I never wore shorts. I wear broomstick style maxi skirts, year round.
I like the wardrobe, in general, of Florida.
But now I am sitting in TN, it is dark and there is a thunderstorm and I LOVE it.
Move to the place that fits you.

Mayfair

Mayfair

well this is old thread, but I think I couldn't live in hot country.

I like the seasons (or liked them I should say) - seasons have changed recently I think.

I think perfect summer day for me, is about 22-25C in day, cloudless, breeze. Then about 15-18C in evening... then start raining, when I go to bed :)

I've been on hols with 30 average in day, and I would say that is max comfy level. (can cope with more if holiday as only a short time)

I found the heat, but mainly humidity in america in summer (in boston) really tough. (fine again as only short holiday) - but wouldn't want to live in it.

Mayfair

Mayfair

altered to include non decimal temperatures (for USA members), as this kind of detail I can't convert, myself. I don't know about others

well this is old thread, but I think I couldn't live in hot country.

I like the seasons (or liked them I should say) - seasons have changed recently I think.

I think perfect summer day for me, is about 22-25C (70f-77f) in day, cloudless, breeze. Then about 15-18C (59f-64f) in evening... then start raining, when I go to bed :)

I've been on hols with 30 (86f) average in day, and I would say that is max comfy level. (can cope with more if holiday as only a short time)

I found the heat, but mainly humidity in america in summer (in boston) really tough. (fine again as only short holiday) - but wouldn't want to live in it.

Last edited:
G

George10111

I'm the opposite now. I HATE winter. I'm used to spending 90% of my time outside. In the winter I'm constantly cooped up in front of the tv and it sucks.

M

mango22

I used to love summer but find it torturous now. I like to be snuggled up in a duvet and sleep deep. Haven't had a decent sleep in like 3 months. When I see in the news "another heatwave" I wonder how I will stand it.

A

Alladyn1919

I'll try to answer with my broken English.(Hope the substance not the form matters).I have chronic not seasonal depression and Iam usually more depressed during heat.Sometimes to the point of much lower consciousness, kind of extremely dizzy or something not necessarily having much worse mood, but all that is usually, not always, more pronounced when I stay indoors when ther is hot in the house.I think that persistent hot environment worsens depression in some individuals.There may be another aspect to that.Exposing eyes to daylight improves probably most if not all kinds of depressiopns,not just seasonal (strangely enough psychiatists usually don't tell patients about that).But probably not all types of daylight are equally beneficial for depression sufferers.Defused light is better than concentrated one.I think that the best day for that is not cloudless one but with some thin clouds so that there is still fairly intense daylight but diffused one.On such a day there is also usually more daylight indoors coming from window if the sun doesn't shine directly through it or if its rays are not reflected from some building opposite.Anotherthing is that during intense sunshine depressed people wear dark sunglasses,and of course they be doing so to protect eyes but they get much less benefit from daylight healing properties.That's my view.

Regards

Alladyn1919