• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I can't study

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
As soon as I crack open my books my heart starts pounding. My whole body is tense. I can't relax. Every muscle is tense. I've barely studied at all during the last week, and it's been reading week. I have a quiz tomorrow, and a group presentation, and next week I have 2 midterm exams on the same day. I thought I was doing better today, after having gone for a walk by the river this morning, but now I can't concentrate. I feel like this anxiety is never going to get better, and that fills me with despair. I cannot go on like this for the rest of my life. I will kill myself.

StillFighting

StillFighting

Hi prairiechick, I'm sorry that it's so difficult to study right now. :hug1: I know the feeling, and I've experienced it so many times during my study. :hug1:

Have you heard of the Pomodoro Technique? If I recall correctly, the idea is to break the work in 25-minute intervals, you can use a timer for that, and take a 5-min break after each interval. Do you think it might help to start with a small goal, study something for half an hour, and take it from there?

megirl

megirl

Yes that makes sense.
When i was studying I would be flat out maybe writing for like an hour or so which is great. Then my brain would be blank I might have done 300 words in an hour then what?
So I could spend another 2 hours not getting much further.
I had to do my course in the city so I would spend one weekend up there and one at home.
But anyway the weekend up there i would try get my study and/or assignments done at that time.
Then often Saturday afternoon would come and almost beside myself would ring hubby and be quite distressed, he would advise me to give the study a break, get some fresh air, watch some tele eat something and have an early night.
Next day and I would have some of that energy back, and when I got into that overwhelmed state yes, take a break, limit your study into 'chunks' taking some time just for you, It may be sitting in the sun, give a friend a ring, have a nice cuppa, watch a good movie, I remember those days so well and that horrid feeling.
It will subside, hey hang in there you will get there truly be kind to yourself, remembering to do that self-care stuff
xx
thinking of you

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Please can this thread be removed. I need to stop posting all my poor me threads. I am just a burden and a pain in the ass on this forum. I need to just shut up and suck it up.

megirl

megirl

No you are not a pain or a burden thats just how you are feeling I dont think any of these negative stuff about you nor would anyone else, you are a lovely person who helps others as needed and like myself and all of us we need others support at different times. You are having a lot to deal with but know that we are here thinking of you
x

M

Mark101

Hi prairiechick,

I have to disagree. This is a very informative thread for anyone who studies. I know very many students suffer anxiety, stress and depression thats why most UK universities have their own health care nurses and counselors.

I breezed through school but at college I found the parties/events, the fact that I had moved away and needed to do everything for myself, the poorer diet and the intense workload all led to panic. The tutors were great and advised i go see the councilor, who gave me lots of tips, like

Get enough sleep.
Take daily exercise - walk to the shops etc.
Make a realistic study plan - small chunks of work, as advised above - and stick to it.
Simple breathing exercises for when the tight chest etc kicks in.
Gentle music in the background.
Study buddies.

They all worked together to help get me through. I'm sure you will find a way.

Mark

megirl

megirl

Off to work now but will be thinking of you heaps, take care of you ok hun

:hug::hug::hug::hug:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Anxiety Forum 8
R Anxiety Forum 10
Taffy Anxiety Forum 4
S Anxiety Forum 1
E Anxiety Forum 3