• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

I can't seem to spend more than a day or two away from home without my depression starting.

A

Andeeeeeeee

I have chronic depression. I accept that and I manage it reasonably successfully. I am medicated and accept that I will be for life. I have improved a lot over the last five years and consider myself pretty stable these days. I sometimes dip into periods of depression and tell myself out will wear off after a few days and it does most of the time. So like I said it's pretty well managed. Weekends can be more of a challenge sometimes when I'm not working. The biggest problem I face that I can't seem to get management of being away from home. I'm quite happy going out shopping as long as it's not more than a few hours. But if I go away for more than a day or so I started to feel depressed. No apparent reason other than I'm not busy. But you can't be busy all the time. I have this theory that I am pretty much underlyingly depressed must of the time and when I stop being busy for too long then my brain needs something to do. I'm not too good at self motivation. I get tired of doing stuff and I mean feeling fatigued. Work is fine because I have structure. In do have a hobby. Playing the guitar. But it is a real struggle to keep it up a fair amount of the time. So, I go away on a break and after a couple of days I'm feeling pretty terrible. As soon as we're heading home it improves over a couple of days. One thing I do notice is that when I'm out and about my brain starts noticing thoughts and doing free association until it finds something it can torment me with. A lot of guilt and embarrassment or regret about things that have happened in the past spring up seemingly out of nowhere and the depression sets in. The cycle can continue for hours. It's exhausting as well as depressing. I just want to sleep to hide. I'll even mutter to myself with cringing embarrassment at the thoughts. I feel completely unmotivated to do things as a result of the fatigue and misery. I just long for going home. I also feel tremendously bad because it spoils it for my wife when I am so reticent about doing anything. I do force myself through the mental pain a lot of the time but she can feel it and I feel so guilty. She's had to put up with this for years. I'm 54 now having had the depression all my life and am terrified of retirement. I saw my grandfather sat in a chair for years and I can see the emotional pain he sat through just existing and doing nothing. Scares me to death. So I'm not expecting a cure but I would appreciate people who have similar experience and to know how they learned to manage. Thanks Andy

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S Others who seem to succeed easily makes me sad Depression Forum 30
T it doesn’t seem like it’s worth it anymore Depression Forum 5
T i just cant seem to get happy Depression Forum 17
G My social anxiety makes me seem rude Depression Forum 8
S Does anyone know why antidepressants only seem to work for me some of the time? Depression Forum 18
S Therapy doesn't seem like an option Depression Forum 2
ninarose my girlfriend doesn’t seem to understand Depression Forum 9
V I know why I’m like this but I can’t seem to do anything about it Depression Forum 2
W Trying hard but can’t seem to make it Depression Forum 4
S My Mom Doesn't Seem to Believe Depression Exist Depression Forum 3
C Can't seem to care about much Depression Forum 2
H Can depression be permanent? I seem to be cursed for life... Depression Forum 8
S Can't seem to get out of the bubble Depression Forum 2
0 Life just doesn't seem to get better Depression Forum 16
althera can't seem to get over what my ex did to me Depression Forum 3
P Does my doctor seem incompetent? Depression Forum 4
valleygirl I never seem to know when I'm doing better... Depression Forum 5
AimeèJo2014 can't seem to win anymore! Depression Forum 2
feymayte can't seem to perk myself up Depression Forum 3
D need help but cant seem to get it !! Depression Forum 4
D The doctors don't seem to care Depression Forum 3
honeyquince It's been a while... but some things don't seem to change. Depression Forum 19
P just cant seem to shake this off :( Depression Forum 1
T Life Just Doesn't Seem Worth Living Depression Forum 37
J things arent what they seem?? Depression Forum 2
T I'm sorry. I try to help but just can't seem to find the words Depression Forum 1
A why do adults not seem to matter anymore? Depression Forum 4
D Esitalopram dosage reduction and withdrawal - Happy pills don't seem to like the goodbye bit Depression Forum 8
L can't seem to shake it Depression Forum 1
Starkey's mum Can't seem to come back up Depression Forum 6
aleshadxcherylc All i seem to do is wait i want to pull the plug with the mh system Depression Forum 1
bluemoon2 Should I spend the day alone? Depression Forum 1
W How much time do you spend thinking about depression? Depression Forum 19
dodo777 spend all days on my own now Depression Forum 7
S Are people with depression more aware of our mortality? Depression Forum 10
S As we get older, aren't we supposed to feel more put together? Depression Forum 3
O Feeling more depressed Depression Forum 5
S Hate my life more and more Depression Forum 5
J I tend to get more depressed at night. Depression Forum 16
S More bad news hits me.. Depression Forum 16
D Cant do this no more Depression Forum 6
fragrant_violet We got more strength than we think we have Depression Forum 1
M 1 more depressing summer Depression Forum 2
S Getting more depressed every day. Depression Forum 8
HappiestSeason I'm in my 30's, I have no more friends and I still live in my parents house ... Depression Forum 9
I Don't know how much more can take :( Depression Forum 8
S i truly hate my life more than anything else Depression Forum 104
E Wanting to kill myself a little more every day Depression Forum 6
S Flirting with someone who's more successful than you Depression Forum 17
M Made it 2 more days...but I’m breaking again Depression Forum 17