• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

I can't overcome my phonophobia(fear of loud sounds) no matter what

K

kazurengan

i've had this since i was a child, it's a phobia i've grown up with and i could never overcome it.
i'm 24 and i still suffer with this and makes me look ridiculous imo, because everyone else is fine
by those sounds, but they somehow feel very loud and scary for me. like i could literally become deaf and gives
me a headache.
people say to embrace your fears, but my instinct is stronger because i know i'll get scared
it's something i can't control, it's like my body goes into automatic mode
the worse are thunderstorms because i can't really avoid those and sometimes i feel like
i'll get an heart attack or something. i keep checking the weather if i see the sky too dark
and i start getting nervous as hell...

I know some dogs are also afraid of those sounds, and i am the same
any people that has the same phobia that has overcome this?

Twinkle Toes

Twinkle Toes

I have autism and had severely hypersensitive hearing as a child. I only got relief when I experienced hearing loss thought to be due to a change in medication, though now I think it was conversion disorder.

I still have some hearing difficulties though not as bad as back then. I've still got my hearing aids though and use them to block sounds outdoors so I don't get too much 'sensory overload'.

Do the sounds you don't like make you feel very angry? (misophona)