• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I can't live for the moment

8bit-Lee

Hello there :)

(This is my first post on the forum, so I apologize if I make any mistakes... Also, my first language is not english, so sorry for that too)

For a few months now, I have been noticing something really weird about myself; something that has been keeping me from being ok on a daily basis: I worry too much about what's gonna happen next, and that's making me lose interest in doing stuff.

For example, I have recently met a really nice exchange student in my university and we became really good friends. The thing is: he's leaving in 3 months, and when we hang out, all I can think about is how this friendship will change dramatically after he goes back to his country :/ We'll probably promise to stay in touch and never talk to each other again, as always.

Even with the friends I have made in uni, I can't enjoy the time I spend with them thinking how in a few years we'll get jobs and forget about each other...

Hell, somedays I even think about how it's not worth it to get out of bed to go to class, finish my graduation, get a job, have a family and everything else if in the end I'll just die and leave all of that behind.

I really want to find a new perspective of life, but I keep searching and searching in my head without finding a better one. The reality is: I am not sure if I can just "live the moment", and that's killing me inside, because of that, I can't enjoy the experiences I am having.

And I don't want to end my life, seriously (I am thankful for all I have), but somedays this just weights on me and I can't help myself but cry, thinking of how everything just seems meaningless.

It's really hard to put in words what I am feeling right now, but this is it... And to be fair, to this moment, I'm not sure why I am posting this here... Maybe someone will relate to what I'm throwing here, maybe someone will have a solution :/

Anyway, thanks in advance

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
maybe try some mindfullness. i think that is all about staying in the moment or something like that.

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

Is it fair to say that your worried about the future, worried about you and your friend's becoming distant from each other?
Worrying about the future is natural but it seems like in your case it has become excessive?
One way to look at this all is: these days it is alot easier to keep touch with people because of technology. Compared to say 40 years ago or even 20 years ago. You can still keep in touch by phone, text, e-mail, facebook, twitter. And there's other platforms/websites I haven't even mentioned which you could use to keep in touch.
If you and a friend make the effort then I don't see how you and that individual could grow apart? unless you both eventually lead very busy lives, but even then you could stay in touch and once every two weeks or less, you could meet up and spend time together.

Unfortunately in life, when you do have a career and family, etc then that does tend to take up alot of the week. But even then, people still have a network of friends. I believe you can do this :)
What will be, will be. You won't end up alone, you will always have friends and i'm sure you can live a balanced life of work, career, family and friends :)

snapshot

snapshot

People, including my therapists, tell me to "live in the present" all the time. Easier said than done. I find myself worrying about things that may or may not happen all the time. I can' turn it off - yet anyway. Trying to do AA "One day at a time" thing but it is so difficult.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Anxiety Forum 8
R Anxiety Forum 10
T Anxiety Forum 4
S Anxiety Forum 1
E Anxiety Forum 3